18 - FINALE !

(CW for alcohol)

robin fidgeted, the dress that clung to her frame was not something she'd wear to any other dance.

but, it was prom after all. steve had convinced her unsure self to wear this. steve was a charmer, professional at convincing.

"robin, come dance!" steve whined, reaching out and holding her wrist. in her opposite hand, she grasped a red solo cup filled with -- supposedly -- punch.

"you know i'm already uncomfortable in this dress and shit at dancing, right?"

"it'll be fun," his eyes rounded.

"i think i revoke complimenting you for how kind you usually are."

"hey!" he snapped, wriggling her hand. "cut loose, please. half of the senior class isn't here, and most of the chics here are drunk."

"is nancy here?" she rasped, trying to study the crowd that swayed to and fro; each face blurry.

"nah, she'll come later. come on!" she gave in, stumbling forward as he pulled her into the crowd.

naturally, her body moved with the rest of the group. robin was not exactly a great dancer; but whatever was in that punch helped her move with ease.

more faces filtered into the party, filling steve's residence. as the music heightened, robin slowly felt her soberity slip away.

-

nancy pushed through the crowd.

it was time, next winter she'd be setting off to the local university so it was now or never.

steve had built her up to this moment-- she had to commend him for how damn well he nailed the pep talks they shared.

despite denying and forcing out any emotion that breached her previous state of tranquility, nancy had a talent for reading people.

and according to her senses, robin was absolutely drunk.

she was dancing beside steve. her movements were clumsy but she seemed unbothered.

"robin!" she called through the crowd, nearing closer to the pretty blonde.

"robin," she repeated herself. a sudden rush of panic setting in as robin pivoted, gazing at her curiously.

"what is it, nance?" her words were slow, not deliberate but definitely causing nancys heart to accelerate like a car on the highway.

"can we talk?" she brought her lips closer to robins ear, dropping her voice to a whisper.

"yeah," robin fumbled away, nancy following her.

they paused in the mildly deserted kitchen, silence settling over them like a blanket as robin-- with little coordination, gathered a glass of water, chugging it down.

her eyes brightened with awareness after an elongated moment. she leaned back on the counter, "so what is it?"

"do you suppose we could go somewhere a little more private?" her voice trembled with anticipation.

robin's brow quirked up.

"okay, we can go to the guest room-- its sort of messy, though. i used to stay there a lot." she waved her hands around while speaking, smiling sheepishly and walking down the hallway.