Chapter 21

L i s a

The silence that engulfs the room isn't uncomfortable, in fact, it's peaceful, which is utterly shocking considering that less than forty minutes ago, I fed Jennie and she didn't even try and pummel me because of it. Maybe it's not awkward because I practically sprinted back to my seat after she was done eating.

She's back to drawing me now, while I'm still dwelling on why I found it necessary to feed her. I just felt weird when I heard her stomach rumble; I felt my own stomach dropping at the sound of it.

It's not like I could let her starve, because then she wouldn't be in her right mind for tutoring after she finishes her drawing.

My motivations were purely selfish.

My eyes wander this room to distract me from dwelling on any more tumultuous thoughts.

I still get shocked by how wealthy the Kim family actually is; her art room is almost as big as my entire house!

There are drawings all over the walls, easels everywhere, and on the right side of the room, there is a whole section dedicated to what looks like...pottery?

"You do pottery?" I find myself questioning her, turning my head back to her.

Her eyes snap to me. "I used to, as a child."

There's something different in her eyes—something that makes me want to know more—they're downcast and her tone is rigid.

"You don't anymore?" I ask curiously.

"No."

It's simple; resolute. She doesn't even look up from the drawing when she answers.

Something has shifted in the air. Before, we were casually talking, maybe even enjoying hearing about each other's likes and dislikes, which is shocking.

This is probably the longest we've gone without arguing. It's not like we're arguing now, but she's managed to slip into an armour of indifference.

Why don't I like that?

I take a deep breath before asking, "Why?"

"That's none of your business." She spits out coldly. Now, she looks bothered. Gone is her indifferent façade.

That's the thing about Jennie, she doesn't take time with things. It's always zero to a hundred with her—no time to savour, just straight to the rage. There is no purgatory or middle ground, she is like a ticking time-bomb.

"Okay, relax." I hold my hands up in defence, she just scoffs and goes back to drawing.

I know better than anyone not to pry when someone refuses to talk about something. It's not even my business anyway, so why am I bothered that she isn't telling me? Why is the fact that she doesn't want to share this with me prodding at my chest like an icicle?

"Have you ever done pottery?" she questions me suddenly and I'm shocked she's continuing to talk to me. Jekyll and Hyde have nothing on her.

"I've always wanted to," I say, sighing, "I've just never had the time." I shrug.

Besides school and work, I never had the time for much while growing up, especially after Jungkook went to prison. I couldn't exactly pick up a free hobby, but it's fine, I wouldn't change it. Then again, it does tug at me sometimes when I see things I would have enjoyed doing.

I'm not sure why I'm telling Jennie this though. I'm not sure what it is about this room, but I feel so comfortable, like I could speak about anything and that's... dangerous.

"What else did you want to do?" Her question throws me off guard for a moment.

She sounds interested, like she actually wants to know and it makes my chest feel tight—so tight that I'm unaware how I'm actually breathing at the moment. I shake off the weird feeling and answer her question.