Chapter 43

J e n n i e

"We need to kill Irene."

I roll my eyes. "No, we don't."

Tae gives me a deadpan look and a giggle erupts from the back of my throat. I think that's the first time I've laughed since this whole thing. Of course, I could only keep Tae at bay for so long.

I told him everything this morning and he apologised for not hearing me out sooner, but I couldn't blame him. He tried to call Lisa straight after, but I stopped him—she needs space, it's clear. This will only push her further away from me.

"Seriously though, when is your mother going to sort this out?" he asks in a huff.

"She's on her way, I called her yesterday and told her I needed help with something," I say, feeling my nerves growing.

"You're really going to tell her?"

"Yeah."

My mother didn't hesitate telling me she'd be on the next flight out. She should be here fairly soon. I'm not sure if I'll still have this courage when I see her, but I'm gonna have to force myself to.

"Are you going to Jungkook's wedding tomorrow?" I ask him.

His eyes soften. "Not without you."

I avert my eyes from him. "She doesn't want to see me."

I'm sure it's Jungkook's bachelor's party tonight too. I only know because I helped plan the party favours with her. I had to practically force her to let me help.

"That's a cop out and you know it," he tells me.

Maybe it is. Maybe I'm terrified to see her face again because it will make me realize everything she said is true. That she is capable of love, but she would never love me.

"Jennie!" A voice calls out from downstairs and instantly I get up from my bed, Tae following me as I walk downstairs in a rushed manner. It's my mother, walking through the door with like fifteen bags in both of her hands.

"Hi, Miss Kim," Tae greets cheerily.

"Hello, Tae." She smiles back at him. She's always liked Tae.

I give Tae a look, inadvertently telling him to go and he obliges. He bids me and my mother goodbye. My mother walks closer to me and pulls me into a hug, it's tight, warm, and... weird. She pulls away after a few seconds and I look at her, confused.

"So what's the problem?" she asks me, tilting her head to the side.

"Let's sit down."

She nods, furrowing her eyebrows. We walk into the dining room as she puts her bags down and joins me on the table, sitting right next to me.

"What's wrong Nini? You're worrying me." She's right, I can see it in her eyes.

I should start off small. Something to test the waters.

"I don't want to be in the company mom." She doesn't say anything so I keep going. "I want to open my own gallery. I've always wanted that."

Jisoo's words urged me to do more than just come out. If I want to live honestly, then it should encompass every part of my life.

She waits a few moments before asking, "Is that it?"

When I nod, she exhales out loudly as if I've just given her the best news of her life.

"Thank God. I thought you were in some sort of trouble." She breathes out shakily. "That's fine, Jen, it's not what I would have picked for you, but if it's what you want to do, I'll support it."