x ~ Saddling up the Erymanthian Boar

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter ten ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
010. Saddling up the Erymanthian Boar

└────── •✧• ──────┘

Cassie ran a hand over her face tiredly.

She glanced at the WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT, NEW MEXICO sign as they passed by.

The train had left them on the outskirts of a mountain ski town. A cold breeze swept through the air pushing the demigods along.

The town was covered in snow. It was heaped on the roofs and piled on the street side. The pine trees glistened with white accents and sent shadows over the valley.

Beside her, Percy was shivering. He held the lion-skin coat tight but it wasn't much help. They were practically popsicles by the time they got to Main Street.

As they walked, the daughter of Ares told the boys about her chat with Apollo.

"Something about seeking out Nereus in San Francisco." Cassie recapped.

Grover held his usual worried look. "That's good, I guess. But we've got to get there first."

Percy nodded along trying to refrain from chattering his teeth. Cassie brought him into a side hug, to warm herself up too.

She was trying not to think depressing thoughts but things weren't looking good. Other than saving Artemis in time which was already so important for the council of the gods, Annabeth's time was running out. The General would keep her alive till the winter solstice and no longer.

The solstice which was Friday, four days away. Also, Cassie remembered something about a sacrifice? She didn't want to worry about that any more than needed.

Cassie was brought from her thoughts when Percy stopped. The whole group stopped actually.

They could see the whole town from there. A school with frosty windows, tourists gathered in shops, ski cabins in the distance, and a grocery store.

The aroma from the nearby cafe caught Cassie's attention.

"Great. No bus station. No taxis. No car rental. No way out." Thalia grumbled.

Cassie pat her shoulder.

"There's a coffee shop!" Grover noticed.

"Yes," Zoë agreed. "Coffee is good."

"And pastries, and wax paper." The satyr added.

Thalia gave up. "Fine. How about you two go get us some food. Percy, Bianca, Cassie, and I will check in the grocery store. Maybe they can give us directions."

They agreed to meet in fifteen minutes before the group split up. Bianca seemed wary going with the three demigods and Cassie couldn't blame her. They weren't the most stable or responsible half-bloods.

Inside the grocery store, the group learned some interesting things about Cloudcroft. Percy and Cassie found the rubber rats the most entertaining. Apparently there wasn't enough snow to ski and the only way to leave town was by car.

"You could call for a taxi from Alamogordo. That's down at the bottom of the mountains, but it would take at least an hour to get here. Cost several hundred dollars." The clerk informed them, his voice holding uncertainty.

They thanked him and were about to leave when Percy decided to buy a rubber rat. He pitied the lonely clerk.

Once they were back on the porch, Thalia stuffed her hands in her pockets.