Chapter 34

After Atlanna had shown Thea and Arthur where Atlan's final resting place was, she informed them that only Arthur stood a chance of retrieving it, since Arthur was the one who was considered Atlan's true heir, since she believed that Arthur's unique gift for being able to communicate with aquatic creatures would be what would allow him to get past Atlan's final guardian, the Karathen and prove himself worthy, she and Thea had both given Arthur words of encouragement before sending him through the waterfall and waited for him to return, since they both knew that he would.

"He really doesn't want to rule Atlantis does he?" Atlanna asked Thea.

"No, he doesn't. And from what I've heard, Vulko's been trying to convince him to do it for years. The only thing that would force him to take the throne would be if your other son left him no choice." Thea said.

"Orm shares his father's ambitions. He wants to attack the surface." Atlanna said.

"I think that he blames Arthur and the surface for what happened to you as much as Arthur blames Atlantis for it. The only reason Orm hasn't attacked yet is because he might be king of Atlantis now, his claim to the throne is weak, since he's the younger brother. As long as Arthur's alive, he stands in Orm's way, even if he doesn't want the throne. And once Arthur gets the trident, Orm's claim to the throne will be even weaker and he'll never be able to get the support needed to attack the surface world." Thea said.

"Unless he's foolish enough to challenge Arthur himself on land, since Arthur would never go to the sea. Orm would be at a severe disadvantage." Atlanna said.

"Maybe if you return, you can change him." Thea said.

"No, Orm has spent too long being influenced by his father. I just wish I could've brought him to the surface with me so that he and Arthur could truly be brothers. I could've shown him how the land and the sea are one." Atlanna said.

"Trust me, thinking about the past doesn't do anyone any good. What's important is focusing on the future. Making sure that it's better than the past." Thea said as Atlanna looked at her.

"I recognize a warrior when I one. A warrior who has fought and lost more than anyone should." Atlanna said.

"You're right about that." Thea said.

"I can recognize the trace of the Amazons in you." Atlanna said and Thea smiled.

"They took me in when I was at my lowest point. I felt like I'd lost everything. But they took me in and made me one of them. Trained with them. But it was all so that I could be the avatar of Artemis to help her fight a war that should've ended years ago." Thea said.

"You sound bitter about it." Atlanna said.

"It's just, for as long as I can remember, I've been used by other people, even the gods. I just want to have control of my own life." Thea said and Atlanna nodded.

"I understand. Better than most." Atlanna said and Thea nodded, since after being trapped here for so long, Thea could understand Atlanna's desire to be free.

"One good side of my current situation is that once Arthur gets the trident, I can give you your freedom." Thea said and before Atlanna could respond, their attention was drawn to Arthur emerging from the waterfall, looking triumphant, since not only was he holding the golden trident of Atlan, his street clothes had been replaced with gold and green Atlantean armor.

"Now that, that looks like a king to me." Thea said and Atlanna nodded.

"Don't get any ideas. Come on, let's get out of here." Arthur said, though he couldn't deny that he did feel rather kingly right now.

"One portal coming up." Thea said as she unsheathed her sword and charged it up with lunar silver energy and literally sliced a hole in reality.

"Like I said, there are some good parts of my abilities." Thea said as she gestured for Arthur to go through the portal, which he did with his mother following before Thea left herself, closing the portal behind her.

The whole Arthur getting the trident thing plays out exactly like it did in the movie, so there was no need to include it.

Also, I have a poll for you guys. As you've probably guessed, Thea won't be staying connected to Artemis after the threat of Ares is over and now I've got a new idea for her afterwards, but I want to feel about it first. Especially since it will be the beginning of a new story. I've been rewatching Avatar the Last Airbender, both the original and the new Netflix reboot and I want to bring a part of that into this story. Specifically for Thea, making her a version of the avatar, but not a meta. I'm curious on what you all think about that, because honestly, Oliver and Emiko are already archers and I think that Thea needs to something to make her stand out from the rest of her family right now. I hope you like the idea, let me know what you think before I reach the end of the ares conflict, since spoiler, when that plot ends, so does this story and I give Thea a new one separate from Artemis. Anyways, again, let me know what you think and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.