Chapter 2: Unexpected Journeys

You already know about the existence of Colt Kjin Caswell, and this story cannot be complete without introducing our female lead character. As the saying goes, behind every king, there is always a queen.

Meet Euquillia Waverley McHale, also known as Quila, a 22-year-old aspiring manga artist from Palangue, Naic Cavite.

She has striking blue eyes and black hair that contrasts beautifully with her rosy-white skin tone, and she has small ears and a widow's peak hairline, adding to her unique features.

Here's a little background on Quila. At 12 years old, her body curves started to become more noticeable.

It was during this time that she participated in her first major pageant for a well-known brand of whitening products, which had qualifications for contestants aged thirteen and below.

She also joined a writing competition, but she didn't expect that the competition and the pageant finals would fall on the same day.

She dedicated herself to intense practice for the pageant and focused on the writing competition. However, on the day of the finals for both events, she fell ill due to exhaustion and lack of sleep.

She won the national novel writing competition, but she was disqualified from the pageant.

Palangue, nestled within the scenic landscapes of Naic, Cavite, is a tranquil barangay exuding rural charm and simplicity.

As you traverse its winding paths, bordered by lush greenery and swaying coconut trees, you're greeted by the gentle rustle of leaves and the occasional chirping of birds.

The air carries the faint scent of earth and vegetation, a testament to the agricultural heartbeat of the community.

Rice paddies stretch out in verdant patches, their emerald hues shimmering under the warm sunlight.

Farmers clad in straw hats and worn-out clothes tend to their crops with meticulous care, their weathered hands moving rhythmically as they sow seeds or harvest the golden grains.

Amidst the fields, quaint wooden houses dot the landscape, their vibrant colors adding splashes of warmth to the rustic scenery.

****

January 21, Sunday
Palangue, Naic Cavite
6:32 a.m.

Quila's dream (when she was 12 years old)

Quila's heart raced, thumping against her chest like a wild drumbeat, as she clutched the gold acrylic trophy, her name etched on the shiny surface, marking her as the best young writer in the country. But the joy of the moment was short-lived.

"Quila!" Her mother's voice echoed through the hallway, seething with a mix of disappointment and anger. "A pageant disqualified you, and now you're playing with words?"

Quila looked down, her fingers tracing the acrylic trophy. She bit her lip, her words failing her.

Her mother's face hardened, her eyes darting to the trophy. With a swift motion, she snatched it from Quila's grasp, her grip firm and unyielding. "This," she said, holding up the trophy, "is a reminder of your failure. It belongs in the trash."

Before Quila could protest, her mother had disappeared down the hallway, the sound of the trash can lid echoing in the silence.

Quila's heart felt heavy in her chest. She sank to her knees, the emptiness of her hands a stark reminder of her loss. She felt the tears prick at the corners of her eyes, but she forced them back. She wouldn't cry. Not over this.

Later that night, the soft creak of her bedroom door pulled her from her thoughts. She looked up to find her father standing in the doorway, the gold gleam of the trophy in his hands.