Chapter 9: Hidden Connections

January 23, Tuesday
Silver Mall, Rosario
8:32 p.m.

Kjin, who finally found a part-time job as a department store checker at Silver Mall Rosario, stood at the counter, lost in his thoughts as he carefully bagged each item. His mind drifted away, consumed by a whirlwind of emotions and doubts.

As he mechanically moved his fingers, lacking their usual finesse, Kjin's face wore a distant expression. The weight of his current situation weighed heavily on his shoulders, evident in the way he slumped slightly, as if carrying an invisible burden. His brows furrowed in deep concentration as he grappled with his inner turmoil.

"Until now, I have nowhere to go. If I continue sleeping in Salinas Plaza, I will sooner or later get sick because of the freezing cold," Kjin thought to himself, his mind filled with worry and uncertainty.

Surrounded by the bustling mall, shoppers and co-workers passing by, Kjin felt isolated. The noise around him faded into the background as he wrestled with his doubts. Doubt crept in, whispering in his ear, questioning his choices.

"Was it the right decision for me to leave home?" Kjin asked himself, his voice filled with doubt. He questioned whether leaving his house was the best decision after all, unsure of what the future held for him.

Kjin's passion for writing novels had always burned brightly within him, fueling his dreams and ambitions.

But now, in this moment of vulnerability, he questioned whether his passion alone could sustain him. The fear of not being able to provide for himself and his loved ones gnawed at his heart.

However, amidst the doubts and uncertainties, a flicker of determination shone through Kjin's eyes. Deep down, he knew that following his passion was not an easy path, but it was the one that ignited his soul.

"I shouldn't lose hope," Kjin reminded himself, mustering the strength to uplift his spirits. He encouraged himself not to give in to despair, knowing that it was important to stay strong and resilient, even in difficult times.

Despite the challenges he was facing, he reminded himself to hold onto hope and maintain a positive mindset.

With each passing customer, Kjin found solace in the stories he weaved in his mind, finding comfort in the worlds he created.

He took a deep breath, straightened his posture, and carried on, knowing that his love for writing would guide him through the challenges ahead.

Suddenly, his senses snapped back to reality as his cashier started to talk.

"I always marveled at the lack of a crowd here at the third-floor installment counter," the cashier said, sharing her observation with Kjin.

"Most people think this counter is only for installments, that's why. Sometimes, when I buy something and there are a lot of people, I pay here too," Kjin replied, nodding in agreement, engaging in conversation with his coworker.

Kjin's cashier's eyes sparkled as she looked around. "Same here, but I've always wanted to work here. The place feels more like a five-star hotel than a mall," she said, her gaze sweeping over the intricate patterns on the walls and the polished tiles that reflected the warm lighting.

Kjin listened intently, nodding to himself. He knew of her part-time modeling career, which took her to various malls and hotels. Her cashier had mentioned it to him on his first day yesterday.

She continued, her voice blending with the soft hum of background music and the murmur of shoppers around them. "The ambiance here is just amazing," she said, her eyes twinkling with delight.

Kjin joined in, adding to the conversation. "And the freshness of the air, it's like they've somehow managed to infuse it with nature," he said, his voice filled with wonder. He paused to inhale, picking up the sweet aroma of pastries from a nearby shop along with the invigorating scent of perfumes and colognes.