Chapter 28: Creative Spark

February 11, Sunday
4:34 a.m.

When Quila woke up, she instinctively scanned the room for Kjin, but he was nowhere to be found. Her gaze landed on the two trophies glistening on the table, a silent testament to their shared achievements, and she assumed he must have gone for a jog.

"Maybe he's already out for a run," she mused to herself, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

Deciding to start her day, Quila took a moment to fix the bed, a simple act of tidiness that brought her a sense of calm. As she turned to head to her room, a soft gasp escaped her lips as she entered.

She was met with a surprising sight: Kjin was peacefully asleep on her bed. A rush of warmth filled her heart at his considerate gesture. "He's so thoughtful and gentlemanly," she whispered, a warm feeling blooming in her chest as she watched him sleep.

As Kjin stirred awake, his eyes met hers as he sat up on the bed. "You're awake, Quila. Sorry if I used your room without your permission," he apologized, his voice laced with sincerity, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"It's fine," Quila reassured him, moving to her office chair and settling down. "I ran into Leslie Nissorada and Alodia Rabago yesterday, along with Aerish. They mentioned they wanted to talk to you," she informed him, curiosity gleaming in her eyes.

Kjin nodded, recalling his recent encounter with Alodia. "I saw Alodia back on February 2nd, after we grabbed shawarma together," he said, a hint of nostalgia in his voice.

"That was the same day as our orientation at SteelCore," Quila remarked, connecting the dots. "I also learned about your absence during the National Novel Writing Competition ten years ago and the controversy surrounding Aerish's plagiarism issue involving your friends," she continued, a hint of concern in her voice.

Kjin's expression softened as he delved into the past, recounting memories of the Fictional Writing Club and their shared dreams. Quila listened intently, captivated by his words.

"Icebert, Kaiser Martin, and Katelyn were all freshmen when Leslie brought us together to form the Fictional Writing Club. Leslie and I were in our second year. We all shared a dream of winning the World Writing Competition, becoming published authors after graduation, and having a book launch with a unique twist-the one with the highest book sales within the first 24 hours wins," Kjin shared, his eyes reflecting a mix of nostalgia and determination.

Flashback (Kjin's entered high school, and he was 11 years old)

Kjin entered his first year of high school on September 5th, with a sense of indifference towards the typical excitement that surrounded the beginning of a new school year.

While his peers chattered about new classes and extracurricular activities, Kjin's mind was consumed by his passion for writing. Lost in his own world of creativity, he seemed detached from the usual school-related enthusiasm.

It was during this time that he crossed paths with Leslie Nissorada, a brilliant student who had earned the prestigious title of valedictorian in elementary school. Despite being classmates in the past, Kjin failed to recognize Leslie as she approached him with a warm smile.

"Hey Kjin, we're classmates again," Leslie greeted him, her eyes sparkling with familiarity.

Kjin's brows furrowed in confusion, and he was taken aback by her friendly demeanor. "How do you know my name?" he inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"We've been classmates since third grade," Leslie replied, her tone laced with understanding. "You've always been engrossed in your writing, never really engaging with others."