Chapter 21: Professional Challenges

February 5, Monday
SCPI Rosario, Cavite
9:05 a.m.

Kjin and Quila stepped into SteelCore on their first day as part-time purchasing staff, feeling a mix of excitement and nervousness.

Despite HR's endorsement of Kjin and Quila to the Purchasing Department, formal introductions were delayed due to the busy schedule.

The urgency of their position was evident as they were immediately tasked with handling accounts for up to ten suppliers.

The fast-paced work environment at SteelCore demanded strict adherence to on-time delivery schedules, especially for external suppliers from outside CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon).

Gossip began to circulate about Quila, particularly regarding how she secured the job at such a young age with no prior experience in the field.

As Quila passed by Stella Orca, the Assistant Supervisor, she couldn't help but overhear the conversation deliberately amplified for her benefit.

"I'm sure she has a powerful backer aside from using her beauty. She's only 22 years old and has no experience in our field, yet she's already secured a job," Stella remarked, her tone laced with skepticism.

Sally Pegenia, the Senior Supervisor, chimed in, adding fuel to the fire. "You're right! They should have hired someone with at least two years of experience for that vacant position. Let's see if she must have more than just looks," Sally remarked, her words cutting through the air.

Quila felt a wave of discomfort wash over her as she heard the derogatory remarks and insults being thrown her way even before she had the chance to start her work.

Kjin, sensing Quila's unease, leaned in and whispered reassuringly, "Don't pay attention to what they're saying, ok?" Quila nodded, grateful for Kjin's support amidst the hostile environment.

As they prepared to dive into their tasks, Quila couldn't shake off the lingering doubts planted by the harsh words she had overheard.

She took a deep breath, steeling herself for the challenges ahead, determined to prove her worth through hard work and dedication, regardless of the doubts cast upon her abilities.

Sally's voice cut through the office chatter: "The one who isn't busy, kindly assist these two at their table."

Sean Garren promptly stood up from his chair. "Sure thing, ma'am," he replied, making his way over to Kjin and Quila. "Hey, Kjin and Quila, follow me," he beckoned them. "This will be your office table. Let me show you through our state-of-the-art office equipment." His tone was friendly and welcoming as he gestured towards the various items. "First off, we have free Wi-Fi here. Once you connect, your phone will automatically charge, so there is no need to worry about bringing a charger."

Stella interjected, reminding Sean Garren, "You have important work to do, keep it brief."

"Understood, ma'am," Sean Garren acknowledged before turning back to Kjin and Quila.

"You seem pretty busy, Sean Garren," Kjin remarked, trying to engage in small talk.

"Not really, just dealing with some supplier issues since my promotion to specialist last year," Sean Garren explained, a hint of frustration in his voice.

"Are you a full-time employee here?" Quila inquired, curious about Sean Garren's role.

"Yup, full-time," Sean Garren confirmed. "Now, onto the second item—the PC you'll be using. It's a super-thin 32-inch flat-curve monitor with a sleek keyboard. Then, we have the classic gaming chair with a modern design twist, and lastly, the adjustable table, customizable to your preferred height," Sean Garren elaborated, showcasing the office setup.