Chapter 30: Choice's Pain

Flashback (continuation)

January 17, Friday, marked the culmination of their intramurals week. The air was charged with anticipation as the students gathered, awaiting the announcement of the ten shortlisted stories on their official school webpage.

Kjin and Leslie exchanged knowing smiles, their eyes filled with excitement as they anticipated the results.

The teacher's voice echoed through the paging system, capturing the attention of all the students. "Attention to all the students, the ten shortlisted stories have been released on our school's official webpage in no particular order," the announcement rang out.

As the criteria for judging were explained, Kjin and Leslie exchanged glances, silently acknowledging the significance of each aspect: creativity and originality, character development, plot structure and execution, and writing style and clarity.

The weight of each criterion hung in the air, fueling the tension and excitement among the students.

Icebert, Kaiser Martin, and Katelyn found themselves with a free period before their first class and decided to head to the club quarters. To their surprise, they encountered Kjin and Leslie there, their expressions a mix of nerves and anticipation.

The teacher's voice continued, outlining the voting process for the final ten entries. The opportunity for all students to vote for their favorite story added another layer of excitement to the already charged atmosphere.

The time frame for voting was set (9:00 a.m. to 11:59 a.m.), and the students prepared themselves to cast their votes, knowing that each vote would contribute to the final outcome.

After the announcement, the students wasted no time and logged into the school's official webpage to view the final ten stories. Emotions ran high as they scrolled through the entries-joy, disappointment, and a mix of emotions painted the reactions of the students.

Friends cheered for each other's success, while others grappled with the disappointment of not making the cut. The room buzzed with conversations, inner thoughts, and a roller-coaster of emotions, creating a vibrant tapestry of reactions and responses to the shortlist announcement.

Meanwhile, in the Fictional Writing Club, all members sat in front of their computers, their expressions a mix of nervousness and excitement. Leslie logged into their official webpage, her fingers tapping eagerly on the keyboard as she navigated to the shortlist section.

"Here we go!" Leslie exclaimed, her heart pounding with anticipation as she clicked on the shortlist.

"Yes, my story made it." Katelyn breathed a sigh of relief, her eyes wide with disbelief.

"My story too," Leslie chimed in, her voice filled with pride. "And Kjin, your story made it too," she added, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"Oh man, my story didn't make it," Icebert admitted awkwardly, his disappointment evident in his downcast gaze.

"Mine neither," Kaiser Martin remarked, his tone bittersweet. "But hey, three stories from our club made it. That's something to be proud of," he added, forcing a smile to uplift the mood.

"Don't worry, guys. This is just the beginning. Let this be a motivation to push ourselves even further," Leslie reassured Icebert and Kaiser Martin, her words laced with encouragement. The bell rang, signaling the start of their class.

"Let's head to class," Katelyn suggested, reaching out to hold Icebert and Kaiser Martin's hands as they walked together.

"Leslie, let's go too," Kjin urged, noticing Leslie's distracted expression as her phone began to ring. He glanced at the caller ID and saw it was Leslie's father. "I'll wait for you in the room," he said before quietly slipping away to give her privacy.