𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗲

Gwenevere Everill stood before the silvery mirror, applying the final touches to her makeup

Gwenevere Everill stood before the silvery mirror, applying the final touches to her makeup. She'd been home for almost a month now, and every day it was getting harder to keep her thoughts clear. A couple months ago, she and her three best friends had uncovered a horrifying truth, the untold truth, of Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew. With that truth came the first concrete evidence that Gwen had which confirmed her parents', her father's, true standing in the Wizarding World.

  They were Death Eaters. Followers of Lord Voldemort.

  The thought turned her hair crimson at the roots.

  She'd always had suspicions, she knew her parents were bad people -- Edward had once had to remove baby Gwen from a room where her parents and some other Death Eaters were. One of them had been murdered, not before Gwen had been taken, and she had witnessed it. She didn't remember it, had never had proof of it, but Felix had let it slip once, and so, reluctantly, Edward had briefly told her the story.

  She was a Pure Blood, a status her parents held in high regard. Her mother was considerably more loving than her father, but she too had that strict manner about her. Her mother was all about remaining prim and proper, maintaining tradition. Gwen was a Metamorphmagus, and she'd never been given freedom to use it. The part she hated most was that she was never allowed to decide which colour she could keep her hair. She used the powers to her advantage, thinning down her nose and heightening the bridge, and changing her natural silvery grey eyes to a light green. Yet her hair, the most obvious feature, had to remain the same. Silvery white blonde, so that she fit in with her brothers and sister.

  And now, here, standing in front of her mirror, the orange glow of the evening sun pouring through her windows, she felt she know longer knew who she was.

  She was Gwenevere Everill, she knew that much. But she wasn't entirely sure she knew who Gwenevere Everill was.

  'Gwenevere, darling. Guests are arriving.'

  Her mother's voice came from behind the closed door. Gwen called back, 'I'm coming,' and took one last, long look at herself.

  She was pretty, she could admit that to herself. She had a nice face, even if her nose was slightly magically altered. She looked quite regal in her crimson gown, her long blonde curls falling gracefully down her back. She smiled at her reflection, then turned to join her family.

  Tonight was an important night. It had always been tradition among wizards to have a Graduation Gala. This was the first one Gwen had ever attended, and tonight, the guest of honour was her own brother, Edward.

  He had finished his academic career at the end of term, and was going on to be an apprentice with their father at the Ministry. He was to train to be an Unspeakable, to follow in their father's footsteps, as was tradition. Edward was the first born son, the person set to inherit after their father passed, and so tonight was very important.