𝗹𝘃 | 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘁𝗲

The next week passed in a blur; people were avoiding Gwen and Harry all over the school; according to Ron and Hermione, Dumbledore had addressed the school the morning after the third task and asked them not to question either of them

The next week passed in a blur; people were avoiding Gwen and Harry all over the school; according to Ron and Hermione, Dumbledore had addressed the school the morning after the third task and asked them not to question either of them. It seemed that maybe people thought they were both dangerous; perhaps they had believed Rita Skeeter too. Gwen wondered what theories they had come up with over how Cedric had died, but she tried not to think about it. She had so much on her mind already, she didn't want to think about what people might be saying behind her back. For this reason, she avoided the Great Hall as often as she could, especially when it was crowded. The real Professor Moody was back the same day that Gwen and Harry left the hospital wing, though he was much more jumpy, and for good reason. Gwen imagined he found it hard to trust anyone now, especially after what he had been through. Karkaroff hadn't returned. Gwen tried not to think about what his fate may be, but Madame Maxime was still around. When Gwen, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went down to Hagrid's hut, he told them that the two of them were on good terms again. He wouldn't tell them what Dumbledore had wanted to see him about, though, no matter how much they asked.

  Gwen liked it best when she was with Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Hagrid. Felix and Lucille hadn't spoken to her since she had been out of the hospital wing, but they had visited her once. Neither of them asked about what had happened; Ron and Hermione didn't ask either; there had been a kind of unspoken agreement that they were all waiting on news, news from anyone, about what was happening outside castle grounds.

  On their last night at the castle, Gwen, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went down to dinner with the rest of the Gryffindors, and were surprised to see that the Hall was not decorated with the winning house colours; usually, at the end of the year, the Inter House Cup was awarded to the house who had gained the most points that year.

  They ate their dinner in a surprisingly cheery mood; it was the best Gwen had felt since that night in the graveyard. But then Dumbledore rose, and her mind was brought back to that night.

  'The end,' he said, 'of another year.' His eyes fell briefly on the Hufflepuff table, which were the most subdued table in the whole hall. 'There is much I would like to say to you tonight, but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here,' he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, 'enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory.'

  They did. There was a great scraping of chairs as the people in the Hall rose to their feet and raised their goblets, and everyone echoed in one loud, rumbling voice, 'Cedric Diggory.'

  When they had all sat down again, Dumbledore continued. 'Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about.'

  Gwen knew what was happening. She wanted to ground to swallow her up. She stared at Dumbledore, her eyes blurring with tears.

  'Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort.'