𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝘆𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗱𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆

Gwen, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went up to the Owlery that evening so that Harry could send Sirius a letter telling him that he had managed to get past his dragon

Gwen, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went up to the Owlery that evening so that Harry could send Sirius a letter telling him that he had managed to get past his dragon. On the way, they took turns filling in Ron on everything that had been said between Gwen, Harry, and Sirius on the evening that Ron had walked in on them. Ron seemed surprised at the news that Karkaroff had been a Death Eater at first, but by the time they got up to the Owlery, he was saying that they ought to have suspected it all along.

  'Fits, doesn't it?' he said. 'Remember what Malfoy said on the train, about his dad being friends with Karkaroff? Now we know where they knew each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the World Cup...'

  'If it was Karkaroff who put your name in, I bet he's feeling really stupid now,' Gwen said, watching as Pigwidgeon, the owl Harry would be using this time, flew round and around Harry's head, hooting incessantly. Orion had fluttered down and was sitting on Gwen's shoulder, evidently very over excited at the idea of a delivery. Ron was now holding him still, while Harry attached the letter to his leg.

  'There's no way the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, surely?' said Ron, carrying Pigwidgeon to the window. 'You know what? I reckon you could win this tournament, Harry, I'm serious.'

  Harry smiled at Ron, while Hermione folded her arms and frowned at him.

  'Harry's got a long way to go before he finishes this tournament,' she said seriously. 'If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next.'

  'Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?' said Ron. 'You and Trelawney should get together sometime.'

  He threw Pigwidgeon out of the window. Pigwidgeon plummeted twelve feet before catching himself; the letter was a lot heavier this time, as Harry had recounted the entire task. They watched as Pigwidgeon disappeared into the darkness, then made their way back to the common room.

  When they climbed through the portrait hole, they were immediately met with cheers and yells again. There were mountains of cakes and jugs of pumpkin juice and butterbeer on every surface; Lee Jordan had set off some fireworks and the air was thick with stars and sparks; Dean Thomas, who had always been good at drawing, had put up some new banners, most of which depicted Harry zooming around the Horntail's head on his Firebolt, though a couple showed Cedric with his head on fire.

  Gwen helped herself to some food, joining Harry, Ron, and Hermione on the sofa with their own plates. She had gotten over her initial relief that Harry had survived, and was now just purely happy. The atmosphere in the common room was that of elation and excitement, and it was the greatest Gwen had felt in weeks.

  'Blimey, this is heavy,' said Lee, picking up the golden egg, which Harry had left on a table. 'Open it, Harry, go on! Let's see what's inside it!'

  'He's supposed to work out the clue on his own,' Hermione said swiftly. 'It's in the tournament rules...'