𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝘄𝗶𝘇𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

As the end of term approached, the excitement for Christmas did too

As the end of term approached, the excitement for Christmas did too. Gwen had already sent a letter home with Orion to say she would be staying at Hogwarts for the holidays, when Professor McGonagall made an announcement in Transfigurations.

'The Yule Ball is approaching, a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above-- although may invite a younger students if you wish--'

Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Parvati Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face screwed up as though she were trying to stop herself from giggling too.

'Dress robes will be worn,' Professor McGonagall continued, 'and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then--' She stared deliberately around the class-- 'The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us to all-- er-- let our hair down... but that does not mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way.

The bell rang, and the usual scuffle of activity filled the room as the class prepared to leave. Gwen left with Ron and Hermione, waiting outside the classroom as Professor McGonagall had called Harry back to speak with him.

'A ball?' Ron sighed. 'Am I gonna have to wear those awful dress robes?'

'If that's what you can call them,' Gwen said, grinning.

Ron huffed, his ears turning red.

When Harry finally emerged into the hallway, he looked as disgruntled as Ron.

'The champions have to dance first,' he groaned as they set off for dinner.

'Dance?' Ron said.

'Well of course there will be dancing, Ronald,' Hermione said curtly. 'It's a ball.'

'But I've got to do it in front of everyone,' Harry said, 'and I have to find a partner.'

'Well, that's easy,' said Gwen. 'Just ask someone you like.' Harry caught her eye and smiled shyly. Gwen had a feeling he was thinking of Cho Chang; she'd spotted him sending her several blushing looks whenever they passed in the corridors.

When they entered the Great Hall, Gwen found her eyes wandering to the Slytherin table. She wondered if everyone else knew yet about the Yule Ball. She knew that it wouldn't be the end of the world if she didn't have a date to the Ball; it wasn't as if she was one of the champions, but she secretly hoped that someone would ask her to go with them. Theo suddenly came to mind, and she had to shake the thought away. Thanks to Rita Skeeter, everyone thought that she and Harry were in a relationship. Theo hadn't mentioned it, but since Rita had released the photo of Gwen hugging Harry in the champions tent, he had been strangely distant. It upset her that he would be stupid enough to believe it, but it made him no different to everyone else.