𝘅𝘃𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝘄𝗶𝘇𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝘁𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁

Hermione's resolve to not eat anything had dampened the moods of Gwen, Harry, and Ron

Hermione's resolve to not eat anything had dampened the moods of Gwen, Harry, and Ron. They tried their hardest to get her to eat something, but she steadfastly refused, and when the puddings too had been demolished, and the last of the crumbs faded off the plates, ALbus Dumbledore got to his feet again.

'So!' said Dumbledore, smiling. 'Now that we are all fed and watered--' Hermione made an odd noise next to Gwen, '-- I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices. Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle this year has been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty seven items, I believe and can be viewed in Mr Filch's office, if anybody wishes to view it.'

Gwen glanced down the table at Fred and George, who were whispering to each other.

'As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out of bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year.'

Harry and Gwen exchanged a quick look. They had had several encounters in the Forbidden Forest, and, if either of them could help it, they would rather not enter it again.

'It is also my painful duty,' Dumbledore continued, 'to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year.'

Gwen's mouth fell open. She and Harry stared at each other, dumbfounded, then glanced back up the table to Fred and George, their fellow Quidditch teammates who were mouthing wordlessly at Dumbledore, apparently too appalled to speak.

Dumbeldore went on, despite the disgruntled murmur from the several Quidditch players in each house. 'This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy-- but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts--'

They didn't find out what Dumbledore was about to announce, for at that moment, a deafening rumble of thunder shook the walls once again, and the doors to the Great Hall swung wide open.

A man stood on the threshold to the Great Hall, leaning upon a long staff, shrouded in a black coat. Everyone in the Hall swivelled toward the stranger, suddenly brightly illuminated by a flash of lightning that appeared across the ceiling. Her lowered his hood and shook out a mane of dark grey hair, then began to walk up toward the teachers' table.

With every other footstep he took, a dull clunk echoed off the walls of the Hall from the man's staff. He reached the end of the top table, turned right and limped toward Professor Dumbledore. Another fork of lightning crossed the ceiling.

Hermione gasped beside Gwen.

The lightning had briefly illuminated the man's face, and it was a face unlike any Gwen had seen before. It almost appeared as if he had been carved out of wood, by a person who was unskilled with a chisel, and had no idea what a human face actually looked like. Every inch of his face was scarred, a chunk of his nose was missing, and his mouth was simply what looked to be a gash across his face. His face was scary enough, but it was his eyes which were the kicker.