𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘃 | 𝗯𝗲𝗮𝘂𝘅𝗯𝗮𝘁𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝘂𝗿𝗺𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗴

The anticipation did not cease all day long

The anticipation did not cease all day long. Nobody was very attentive in lessons, they were all too preoccupied with the imminent arrival of the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang cohorts; even Potions was more bearable, being half an hour shorter. When the bell rang early, Gwen, Harry, Ron, and Hermione hurried up to Gryffindor Tower, left their bags and books as instructed, pulled on their cloaks and rushed back downstairs into the entrance hall.

  The Heads of Houses were ordering the students into lines.

  'Weasley, straighten your cloak,' Professor McGonagall snapped at Ron. 'Miss Patil, take that ridiculous thing out of your hair.'

  Parvati scowled and removed a large ornamental butterfly from the end of her plait.

  'Follow me, please,' said Professor McGonagall. 'First years in front... no pushing...'

  They filed down the steps and lined up in front of the castle. It was a chilly, clear evening; dusk was falling, and a pale moon was already hanging over the Forbidden Forest.

  'Nearly six,' Gwen said, checking her watch. She was standing in the fourth row with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

  'How d'you reckon they're coming?' asked Ron. 'The train?'

  'I doubt it,' said Hermione.

  'How, then? Broomsticks?' Harry suggested, looking up at the sky which was glimmering with stars.

  'I don't think so... not from that far away...'

  'A Portkey?' Ron said. 'Or they could Apparate-- maybe you're allowed to fo it under seventeen wherever they come from?'

  'You can't Apparate inside the castle grounds, how often do I have to tell you?' said Hermione impatiently.

  'I reckon it will be something huge,' Gwen said. 'Something we wouldn't have over here.'

  They all scanned the darkening grounds, but nothing was moving. Gwen was beginning to shiver with cold; the cloak she was wearing was not as warm as her winter one, and she found herself wishing they'd hurry up.

  Still, the sky remained dark and unmoving, the grounds remained still.

  Then, just as Gwen was wishing to be by the warm fire in the Gryffindor common room, Dumblefore called out from the back row where stood with the other teachers.

  'Aha! Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!'

  There was a murmur of 'Where?'s across the rows of students. Then, there was a loud, 'There!' from one of the sixth year students.

  Something large, much larger than a broomstick was soaring across the deep blue sky toward the castle, growing larger as it flew.

  'It's a dragon!' shrieked a first year girl.