Raymond

Flashback to 1970s, Y/N grandfather (Raymond) is on his last day of his contract work as a biologist for Miranda in Romania. It is during the last few years of the Cold War and Romania is still diplomatically bound to the Soviet Union. Unbeknownst to Miranda, Ramon is working under cover to build a new bioweapon to help the US in its fight against the Soviets. But unfortunately, Miranda already knows about his covert motives but chooses to keep it a secret from the others. She's has been working with him for a few years now and after talking about their lives as parents, she wants to share her life with him. He is finishing up his final shift but decides to take a quick lunch break.

R: (Thinking) Miss Miranda seems to be really into me these past couple of years of working with her. I'm hoping to obtain more schematic information to build my own bio-weapon. The US is counting on me...
Miranda: Hello, Ramone! How you feeling?
R: Oh, good evening miss miranda...I'm just feeling a little tired lately. How's the experiments going for your daughter?
Miranda: Sadly, no real success yet. Just another day of failed experiments.
R: May I ask whatever happened Eva's father?
Miranda: He's been dead for a long time now...He was an abusive man who I was forced to marry. Times were different around my time. It wasn't uncommon to be forced to get married extremely young. We were sold like commodities to be bartered with.
R: I'm sorry...(he wanted to hug her but didn't want to give her the wrong idea)
Miranda: How's your son?
R: (Pulls out a baby picture) He's doing alright...I miss seeing him. Luckily, my sister is taking care of him while I'm overseas. I look forward to seeing him again!
Miranda: Hope your wife is still waiting for you on the other side of-
R: Oh...her...she died giving birth to our son.
Miranda: I'm so sorry...I didn't know.
R: Don't apologize, there's no way you could've. Since then, I found it extremely difficult to love again. It's never been the same without her.
Miranda: Well...I hope one day you find that special someone who will love and worship you for all eternity. (Thinking: Im standing right here!)
R: Thank you. It's been a long day so I think I'm gonna need something to help me finish up my shift.
He quietly walks away from her to grab some coffee from coffeemaker and pours himself a warm mug of it. While taking a sip he can quietly hear Miranda sniffling and muffling her sobs. He notices she is holding an old Polaroid. He quickly walks up from behind her.

R: Is that her?
Miranda: Yes...it's like I just took this photo yesterday...(sniffles) I miss her so much. (A tear drop falls on the photo)

 (A tear drop falls on the photo)

R: Wherever she is, Miranda...she's no longer suffering. You did everything you could for her. Just...let her rest!
Miranda: (Screaming) I CAN'T! I'M SO CLOSE TO FINDING THE VESSEL! SHE NEEDS ME! I NEED Y-
(Calms down) I'm sorry...it's just decades of grieve never truly go away. (Hugs him)
R: I know, I'll never truly understand the immeasurable pain of losing a child so young. I've always been the shoulder for you to cry on. I've always been all ears in hearing your stories. I'm sorry for being insensitive with that remark.
Miranda: Thank you, Ramon...you mean the world to me. (Wipes the tears on face on his shoulder)
R: I will admit though, your long flowing hair in that picture made you look gorgeous.
Miranda: (Chuckles) Why thank you! Men just seem so scared of me ever since I've started my journey of research. All I wanted was to have a loving family. But enough pity talk, I can't thank you enough for listening to my emotional blabber.
R: Look, I always thank you for helping me by sharing your own knowledge. It has contributed to my own work while being here.
Miranda: I'm glad to have helped. Thank you for helping me get through this grief.
R: Hey, so I'll give you some alone time until you're ready to come back to your lab. Take your time! (leaves her alone in the lounge)
Miranda: (Thinking) Oh Ramon...if only you'd understand what I've got planned for you soon. I love you with all my heart, I'm sorry but the other staff members are just a means to an end. I know I want Eva back no matter what but I also want a family. To be the wife that you've never had...I'll NEVER let anything happen to our children. The things that he did to me...when I was so young...when I didn't know any better...when I didn't know that is wrong...only that it hurt...never to our children!