00:14

CHAPTER 14
•••
it's unnecessary but it establishes power

THE SECOND DAY OF THE mayhem seemed to go a lot smoother than what I originally had anticipated.

Other than the fact that twins were pouting the whole morning because Nico only allowed them to drive the Mercedes after they stole his new Ferrari.

Now they sat sulking on the leather seats of the Benz, much less energised than they had been 24 hours ago.

They did try to plead with Nico, telling him "how they really wanted to drive sports car and what not" but when I erupted into laughter in the middle of the living room, I did not help their case at all. So now I believe they hate me too.

It all got worse when we got separated for our first class of the day. And I do believe, that in the grand scheme of things, this was the point where everything pretty much went to hell.

"Why in the world would you sign up for biology?" Neo asked when he checked my timetable.

" Hey, med school was the safest route for me to get out of the pit-hole I used to live in." I answered outraged at his comment.

Sure, I've never been interested in dissecting a human body and studying for another decade to serve the greater good. But the hopeless 12 year old in me believed that becoming a doctor was my way out of poverty and abuse, but it seemed that the way was only one arrest at my local police station away.

"Do you want to continue down that route?" Nye questioned, as if he sensed my inner turmoil and my regret now that I live in a mansion. It's crazy how money could change one's ambitions.

"Not really. But I don't think it's possible." My brow scrunched on instinct, partly because of my annoyance at my past decision, guided by fear and terror.

The hallway was bustling with students walking towards either directions, but Nye stopped, right then and there as if he was the only being on earth.

"Well, you only need the Ricci name mentioned to get it done."

I raised my eyebrows in shock as realisation dawned on me. And I offered him a big smile. "I think I'll like that !"

"Cool, I'll text Nico," Nye said, his arm wrapped around my shoulder as they guided me to my next class

•••

It seemed not everybody had the opportunity to find out about the latest hot topic of St. Elaine Academy -the Ricci princess (me) was alive (just barely).

And I found that out when I was approached by a girl group of your run of the mill queen bees.

Their buzzing was loud as they stood in front of my desk, blocking the view from me.

I was genuinely minding my own business, doom scrolling on my phone, waiting for the time to pass, when they came onto me like I was breaking into their hive.

"Can I help you with something?" I asked, when their silence stretched longer than anticipated.

"I am Jennifer," she brought out her hand, expecting a handshake, her face twisted in the most fake smile I've ever seen.

"Noemi," I shook her hand back, and looked back down on my phone as my farming game was more interesting than striking up a conversation that would inevitably end up in a fight one way or another.

Jennifer scoffed in disbelief, her palm locking around my jaw in an attempt to raise my head. I had to comply, lest I break my neck.

"You do not ignore me." She spat, venom in every exhale. " I'll ignore your shortcoming, since you're new."