14- New Haven PD

Wednesday was a long day of processing. The forensic teams were busy. There were a few things which had come back from the full autopsy report, which had sparked an interest. Turned out there was a synthetic opioid in Sharon's blood. It was a banned substance but popular on the street.

"Metonitazene. Its part of a group of Nitrazene substances which had lead to an estimated 1000 deaths across the US since 2019."  Eric Mullens read off the computer screen.

"Yeah. They are defined as having no medical purpose. What I want to know is how it was in Sharon's system. I mean I'm going to put this the best way I can. But she didn't look like a drug addict." Mira added into the conversation.

Andersson mused, "do you think that the killer administered it? Like maybe they didn't want her to feel the pain."

"What would be the point and you read about killers all the time who get off on the pain the cause. So it just doesn't make sense."

"Well actually from a profiling point of view it's interesting. People often drug their victims to subdue them. But also, you'll find it's the control element that serial killers get off on as you put it. Or wonderment." The FBI corrected the detective again.

"How do you know?" Mullen's grumbled.

"I don't, I'm simply basing it on years of evidence obtained by the Bureau's Behavioural Analysis Unit." The blonde shrugged her shoulders. "Anyway we got those phone records back. It would be good to get a list of commonly used numbers to ask her parents about this afternoon."

"Yeah we could also check if she had any conditions that would have made her seek out ultra strong pain killers." Mira Miller added.

"Yeah I think we should get our heads together and come up with a strategy. We got nothing yesterday, really. Just that they were unaware of any boyfriend. Also we are working on an assumption that she was called up in the middle of the night. See if there is anything that verifies that or totally excludes it on the records. It would be amazing if we could find the phone. Which reminds me anything back from forensics on the laptop yet?"

"No."

"Well let's chase that up."

"I also think it might be worth revisiting the sexual assault victims." Mira added to the conversation.

"I'll do that, with a fresh perspective." Francine Stobbs who had just joined from her office suggested.

"Eric phone records. Then see what the CCTV team has found. Mira and I will meet the parents again, they are going to the dorm to collect some of their daughter's things. Did anyone go in after you? Like forensics?"

"No. We locked the door and left. It wasn't a crime scene."

Andersson nodded, "might be worth getting a search team in. There might be something that can help. I know it's probably unlikely but you never know."

"Yeah." Mira agreed, she knew this was something that they should have done before now. "Should we arrange for things to be sent to the parents, later then and hopefully the digital forensics will be completed on the laptop so we will have questions we can ask from that."

"They had it since Sunday?"

"Monday morning." Mira is confirmed.

"Stobbs do you have any way of moving that on any quicker?" Andersson was hopeful.

"I can try."

"Good it would be ideal if we could get as much information as possible before we see the parents. I'm going to call Harris about the drug to see if he has any suggestions as to how long or would have been in her system or how quickly it would affect her."