23- New Haven

The sun had started to set about an hour ago. Just as they had met with Harris. The cause of death was a shock to most of the team but not really to Andersson. Talia Martinez had died by strangulation the same as the Ripper victims. Harris's findings concurred that the stab wounds were not perhaps as frenzied as the body might first have suggested but he was not yet convinced that they were orchestrated. He'd taken photographs and measurements to check further when he returned to Boston. At the moment the only thing he could definitely suggest that combined the two victims was the presence of the Chelsea smile. He would send the results from Toxicology in the next few days.

She stepped into her car in the parking lot of the New Haven PD and sighed as she ran her hand through her hair. She checked the time on the dash as she started the engine. It was 1045 she still hadn't eaten since breakfast, and she thought about how Abby would chew her ear about looking after herself. She missed her. Her soul craved to be held and to hold her partner close and hear her cute little snores while she slept. Her body yearned for touch and the demands of the pleasure of the flesh. She needed to taste her, feel her, and love her.

She hoped her fiancé would still be awake by the time she returned to the hotel, just to hear her voice and see her face would be a blessing. She pulled out of the lot and headed back to the hotel. She spotted the Golden Arches of a well-known burger joint, and her tummy grumbled, she gave into the temptation of junk food and carbs. Pulling into the drive-through. She could eat while she drove, she decided as she joined the queue and dreamed of a cheeseburger and fries.

By the time she pulled up at the hotel, the burger was devoured, and the fries were all over the seat and footwell of the car. She shook her head and decided she'd clear it up in the morning as she lifted a large chocolate milkshake from the drink holder and excited the vehicle. Sitting the drink on the roof while she gathered her laptop from the back, she yawned loudly, lifted everything and headed into the building.

"Agent Andersson." The receptionist called on her from the desk. "There is a message for you."

She headed over to pick up a folded note from the desk. She nodded "Thanks." Before heading towards the lifts.

The note had gone soggy against the condensation on the paper cup. She set her case down in the well-lit corridor while she fumbled for the keycard in the inside pocket of her suit jacket. The stupid gun holder in her way. She hated having to wear it there. Throwing the door open with her body while she lifted the case, she entered the room, placed the cup down on the bedside cabinet with the keycard and cell, and moved the computer to the desk. Everything seemed like a task.

She was tired and the fast food was sitting with her. She thought about a cigarette, something she hadn't done for some time. That seemed a much better way to end the day than a stomach full of carbs. But Abby would be pissed if she started smoking again after it had been over a year. Yet she still missed it.

Abby, she thought with a smile. A quick shower, then I'll call her. She reached for the note.

Room 623 door will be open.

She shook her head. What the hell? She pocketed the note. She didn't need this, not tonight. She knew she'd have to check it out. She reluctantly left her room and headed for the stairs. It was only one level.

Yet when she reached the floor, she was weary from the climb. She told herself to get up early and meet Miller at the Gym. She slowly moved along the corridor, reading the numbers. She heard a rustling from inside 623 the door, as suggested, was ajar, but it was in complete darkness.

She instinctively pulled her gun from its holder and held it as she gently pushed the door, as quietly as she could. She figured all the rooms would be the same layout, but this one mirrored her own. She reached for the light at the door which flashed to life. The room was empty. The bathroom- the noise was coming from there- a tap running. She tried the door, it was locked. She sighed, and switched off the light from the bedside switch.