12

A few months later

"When will you have to leave?" I whispered, gazing up at Dallas. Filming was wrapped up, and he had cut his ponytail, allowing his hair to grow out normally again. "My flight leaves tomorrow at 4 p.m.," he replied. I could hear the sadness in his voice. "Can I come to the airport with you?" I asked. He simply nodded. "I don't want you to leave," I murmured. "I don't want to leave you either," he whispered, finally pulling me into a hug.

"I've been thinking a little," I began. "About what?" he mumbled into my hair. "I could apply to college in LA. We would be closer," I said, "my father will pay. I already asked him."

"But you don't want to go to college. You want to travel," Dallas said, slightly pushing me away to look at me. "I want to go to college someday. Maybe I can go first and travel after," I said. Dallas shook his head. "I don't want you to give up your dreams because of me," he said. I pressed my lips together. "Well, I don't want to be here on my own without you," I snapped.

"We'll work this out, Babe," he reassured me. I took a step back. "Don't you want me to move closer to you?" I asked. "I would love that, but it's not that easy. The fact is that you don't want to go to college and you won't be happy there. And I want you to be happy," he said honestly. "But how can I be happy without you?" I asked sadly. "Maybe when the series is out and I'm done with the press tours, we can travel somewhere together," he suggested. "And how long will that take? Three years? I can't wait three years to see you again, and I certainly would be too old to start college then," I said. He sighed. "I'll visit you. I promise... just think about it for a bit longer. I don't want you to rush into something that you will regret later," he said, pulling me back into him. I didn't respond. I really had the feeling that he doesn't want me to come.

***

I was bawling my eyes out as Dallas held me close. "Don't cry or I will have to cry too," he whispered, on the verge of tears. "How could I not cry? I don't even know when I will see you again," I sobbed. "Soon. I promise. And I will call you every day," he said, pressing me against him harder. "Every day?" I whispered. "Yes. Every day," he affirmed, and I felt him nodding. I looked up at him. A few tears had escaped his eyes too. Then he pressed his warm lips against mine. The kiss tasted salty because both of us were crying now, but it was one of the best kisses we ever shared. And the saddest one, because as he pulled away, he had to pull away for good. I looked after him until I couldn't see him anymore. It was as if a piece of me was leaving with him. The piece was my heart.

***

October
November
December
January
February

Dallas
I don't think this is working anymore, Cara. We should break up. You deserve to be happy with someone closer to you.