Livewire

"Hey, hey, Newspaper Girl, you're pretty cool, give us your number, alright?" Kara said, smiling lopsidedly as the other girls nodded in aggressive agreement, they all tossed their phones towards me. 

"Haha, yeah sure," I replied, grabbing one of their phones and typing in my number and winking cheekily, "You're not so bad yourself,"

I checked the time and gasped, "Oops, sorry girls, gotta go run and deliver the rest of these papers, whoever's phone I just grabbed, just share my number with the others," I gathered my stuff and hurried out the cafeteria, running towards the office to distribute more of the papers.

By fifth period I had forgotten everything that happened in the darkroom, and was only thinking about my interaction with Jessica's friends. I leant on my hand, and daydreamt all the way through math.

But as I grabbed my field hockey equipment, I saw Jimmy again and we made eye contact. I squealed like a piglet and slammed my locker shut, before running the other direction, my stuff clanging against my leg.

When I reached the exit, I crashed straight into a tall, bulky figure. "Hey, watch it-! Oh, hey Doris," Doris slowly spun around, making her face twist into a threatening glare.

"'Watch it' now, should I?" Doris said, lip curling upwards in an evil grin.

"Sorry, I thought you were someone else," I said apologetically.

"Be glad I value you as a team member," Doris grumbled, fondly rubbing her knuckles on my head. "K, let's go to the field."

I nodded and we left for the pitch but this time instead of having multiple mini matches, Doris thought it'd be a good idea if everyone but one played against me and I got to choose a singular person to act as the goal keeper.

Yay.

"Hey... Doris?" I panted after three intense fifteen matches where I was sadly beaten every single time, with an absolute zero on my side.

"What?" Doris asked flatly, while directing everyone into new positions and pointing at people to sit out and sub in.

"Er, how long are you going to keep this up? Can't lie this is humiliating," I said, bent over and still trying to catch my breath.

"Until you win,"

My jaw dropped and my eyebrows reached my hairline, "What?"

"You heard me, back into position everybody!"

"But- I-"

"On the pitch, L/n," Doris said sternly, pointing at the green grass.

"Urghhh, okay," I grumbled, clutching my hockey stick as I walked back on the pitch.

Somehow, miraculously, after two more matches, I won with one point, after dodging and sliding around and pushing through, but to be honest I think most of the opposing team just felt bad for me.

Nonetheless I screamed with celebration, and danced around the pitch with dizzying adrenaline. The other girl on my team, my goal keeper, was much less excited and just collapsed on the ground with sheer exhaust. I saw Doris jog lightly towards me, and she held her arms like a net out to catch me. I ran into her with a soft thud and she wrapped her arms around me, stopping me from running.

"Ahhh! Doris I won!" I squealed, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her.

"Yeah, yeah you did, but maybe let's calm down a bit?" Doris said, eyebrows raised, chuckling.

I nodded, taking a deep breath.

 "You can go home now! Not bad, everyone," She called to everyone else.