Crushing Despair

TW: slight discussion of a sensitive topic near then end.

As the game progressed, the absurdity slowly dissipated, and the birds had been shooed away. The rest of the match was intense as any other, and I could physically hear Doris's temple throb.

But even through the challenges and Smallville's weirdly agile and strong players, I stayed put, trying my best to stand my ground, determined to help the team to victory.

In the final moments, with the score tied, I found myself facing off against the Smallville captain, Goldie in a showdown at centre field. She looked at me with a slight craze in her eyes that actually freaked me out, but even through my mouth guard, I bit down on the inside of my cheek and with sheer determination, I managed to pass the ball through her legs and score the winning goal in the most unconventional way possible.

As the final whistle blew, the crowd erupted in screams and cheers. By far, this was the most exhilarating match I've ever played and I was numb with adrenaline. Doris yelled out in victory and ran around the field, joyously singing. Wallace collapsed onto the grass next to me, and shot me a weak thumbs up. I high-fived the team and shook hands with Smallville's captain, who was clearly trying to crush my hand like she had before to Doris.

I jogged up the bleacher stairs, and met up with Barbra, Zee, Karen and Diana.

"Oh my god, Y/n. Match of the century!" Barbra squeals, while Karen aggressively nodded beside her. "That move at the end? That was PHENOMENAL. Or as Hal Jordan likes to say, 'transcendent'."

"Yeah, no, totally, thanks, Barbra," I smile, hands on her arms and trying to maybe see Kara or Jessica appear in the bleachers.

"Too bad Kara and Jess missed it," Zee sigh, basically reading my thoughts out loud.

"No worries sisters," Diana says, "I have recorded the entire match on my.. er cellular device," 

"Yeah! Go Diana!" Barbra cheers, "Send it to me, I have to rematch that match at least ten times,"

I hurriedly laugh, "Yeah, anyway, I'm going to try and find Kara and Jessica," I say.

"I'll tag along!" Barbra exclaims, "You two should come too!"

Karen agrees, but Diana was side-tracked by Tatsu and stayed talking to and giggling with her in the bleachers. 

Barbra and Karen trailed around with me around the school, until we opened a door to a classroom Kara and Jess were in. 

"After the zombie thing, a few weeks-" Jessica trails off, her eyes wide as saucers when she saw us. "Uh.. What are you guys doing here?" she asks, looking around nervously.

"Erm.. Hello? Match ended like ages ago, we wanted to know where you two had gone off to," Barbra says, waving her hands around.

"I- Um-" Jessica looks at Kara, then me. "Karen, Babs, tell me all about the match, okay?" She ushers them out, while Barbra protests, before finally clocking the heavy hint.

"So, erm, hey, Kara, we won against Smallville-" I start, smiling hopefully.

"Don't. Don't even," Kara glares at me, her eyes shooting daggers at me. She shoves past me, knocking me into the door way and I frown in confusion. What the hell just happened?

I walked out the classroom, eyebrows tightly knitted together and head back onto the field for reasons unknown. 

The Smallville team was still there, packing up their equipment and chatting with some of the Metropolis High students.