ix. conversations

The soil is moist between my fingers as I dig into the dirt. Making a fist-sized hole, I gently lower the seeds into the ground. I cover them back up and soak them in water. The seeds will take one to two years to reach their full potential.

As I look down at the small patch of fresh soil, the sun bearing down on me, I wonder if I will still be here in one year. Or if I will be married and living in the Autumn Court, far away from the deadly nightshade seeds that are now planted in the back garden of the riverside house.

The seeds had caught my eye at last night's midnight market. Not only are they my namesake, but they are also in the botanical medicines and poisons book that I am currently reading. It takes only twenty berries to poison a full-grown fae. Unlike me, the berries hold unmeasurable power.

The power to kill. 

"What in the Cauldron are you doing rummaging around in the dirt like a bloody worm?"

I turn around and glower at Nyx. Wiping my dirt-covered hands on the sides of my dress, I stand and move toward my brother.

"Growing power," I snap as I shoulder past him.

He scoffs, "You're so weird, Belladonna,"

"I would rather be weird than an annoying winged prick," I retort over my shoulder.

Nyx follows me into the house. His anger emits out of him as he hisses, "Insult me all you want, little sister, but I'm going to have the last laugh," leaning in closer, he smirks, "You'll be gone soon, a High Lord's consort. And I'll be High Lord of the Night Court. You won't dare insult me then,"

"Thank the cauldron that I'll be gone when you're High Lord," I resist the urge to snicker, "It's a blessing that I won't have to see the shamble that will follow in your path."

Before Nyx can grab me, or send a burst of power at me, I hurry down the hallway toward my bedroom. I slam the door shut behind me. For good measure, I lock it.

Letting out a breath, I turn back to my room. Clothes are strewn across the floor, the bed, and my dresser. Books are disregarded along my desk, notes stuffed between the pages. I've never been one to keep a tidy living quarter. 

I snatch up a deep orange dress with long sleeves. This will do well. It compliments Eris's red hair and his title. It radiates, as I'm sure the Autumn Court does.

Bringing the long dress into my adjoining bathroom, I run the taps. When the tub is steaming and full, I undress from my dirty clothes and sink into the water. I stay beneath the warmth until it becomes cold. 

I wish I could live in my bathtub. When I put my head under the water, all the noises of Velaris melt away. It is peaceful. There are no rude brothers or cold-hearted Shadowsingers. There are no commanding High Lords or High Lords that will soon be my husband. There is nothing but a warm, quiet nothingness.

The warm, quiet nothingness is broken when my mother's voice sing-songs into my mind.

We leave for the House of Wind in a short while. It is Eris's final lunch here until your wedding. Dress appropriately. And act accordingly.

Sitting up in the tub, I roll my eyes.

That means do not hurl your food again, Belladonna.

Before she can say anything more, I throw up my mental shield. But I am quick to get myself ready. When I am dressed, I pull my long curls back and out of my face, allowing the full starkness of my eyes to show. It is the High Lord's last meal with us. He likes my eyes. I may as well have them on a show for him.

When I feel appropriately dressed, I leave my room. My family waits for me in the kitchen, dressed in a fine, flowing dress, and immaculate suits. Black, of course.