xvii. brothers.

I spent the days following the Night Court departure in a latticework of planning and prodding. I talk wedding with Marybeth, allow the healers to poke and press at the gashes on my neck and back, and let Eris's most prestigious and archaic scholars test and examine my abilities. So far, it is merely uncontrollable ice - flaking from my fingertips, freezing my bath water, sticking my hand to anything golden or bronze.

But I am grateful for the distractions. I will take anything over thinking about what transpired the other night.

I have spent the last few days being pulled from one directive to another while Azriel has been noiseless in his quarters. He has not come out once. Not to talk, eat, or watch the Autumn Court sentries train. 

I had expected him to find me after his confession that he believed we were mates. I thought he wouldn't be able to stay away from me. But he has done just that. And only that. He has been living in silent solitude for days now.

But can I blame him? My father has ordered him to return to the Night Court once I am married. The Spymasters High Lord does not care if he has potentially found his mate. He has ordered him to return to his responsibilities. His role as a torturer. His role as a dutiful husband to the Valkyrie. And then there is the situation of the black diamonds. I know they are from the Valkyries. A threat and a warning. To stay out of the marriage. To not hurt Gwyn anymore. To let Azriel be. But since he has confined himself to his quarters, leaving him be is inevitable.

While Azriel has been brooding, Eris has been too engaged in his High Lord's obligations to visit me. He has a court to run and Sentries to oversee. And since Azriel's confession, the High Lord has been distant even in the brief moments I see him over dinner. He has promised he is still committed to the marriage, even more so since my parents' visit. But his quiet, purposeful distance says otherwise.

I wonder if I am still welcome in the Night Court if Eris changes his mind. Or if the black diamonds have sealed my fate. Perhaps I can stay with Elain and Lucien in the Summer Court if everything falls to pieces.

I'm pulled from my thoughts when Marybeth places a cup of steaming tea in front of me.

"You've frozen your last one," the soft, kind maid says as she gestures to the cup of tea that she brought me only moments ago. I look at it. The tea is frozen solid. I must have done that while I was deep in my thoughts.

I grip the fresh, warm mug in my hands and smile sheepishly. "Sorry. That's a new habit. I'll make sure I unlearn."

Marybeth nods happily, "You'll get there. You've got lots on your mind as of late, so be easy on yourself, Belladonna," she spins on her heels and walks toward the door. Before she reaches it, she turns back to me sharply. Her face is serious, wan, as she adds, "I forgot to mention this earlier, but the Lord's brothers will join you both for dinner tonight."

Surprise has me turning toward the maid, eyebrows pulled together. "Do they visit these floors often?"

She shakes her head. "Very little. Eris only permits them to visit these floors for meetings or the occasional dinner." She grimaces. "The Lord thought it fitting that they meet you, considering how fast the wedding is approaching."

"Should I be worried?" I ask the maid.

Her big, brown eyes blink. Despite the smile she plasters on her aging face, the worry and fear are still imminent as she chirps. "Those boys are harmless. They give Eris a headache, but they are no longer bloodthirsty for the throne," Marybeth shrugs. "Not like they used to be, anyway."

"Oh. Good," I say before I take a big gulp of tea.

"Enjoy your tea. Ring the bell if you freeze this one and need another." Marybeth teases before she leaves my room.