xii. naga

The next morning, my body still tingles.

My skin is sensitive to the touch. I crave another release, even as I rummage through the wooden armoire, pushing back lavish dresses for a soft, thin one to match the cheerful, cloudless weather outside. 

When I pull the dress over my head, the soft material brushes my sensitive nipples. I try to ignore the growing ache between my legs. Who knew a single touch would have me panting so feverously? If I had known earlier, I would have let him touch me in Ritas the other night. Drunk or not.

"Miss Belladonna, are you awake?" Marybeth's gentle voice calls through the door.

I look at myself in the mirror. Through the soft, thin material of the dress, the shape of my breasts is visible. As is the curve of my hips. Brushing back my long, white curls, I push back my shoulders and make my way to the door. If I have to feel this way, then the Spymaster can as well.

As I pull open the door, Marybeth turns towards her. Her old, soft eyes look down my body, so informally exposed, before she quickly ducks her head. Her wrinkled cheeks redden. The Autumn Court is one of the more reserved, formal Courts. My thin dress is a statement. Marybeth is wondering who it is for. But the fae it is for is the one that stands behind her, arms crossed over his black tunic. His lips curl back as his hazel eyes drown in the curves that are prominent through the blush-pink material.

He meets my eyes.

Smirking, I cock an eyebrow. "Shall we meet Eris for the tour now? I am so looking forward to it," I brush past Azriel, letting my hip lightly touch his wing. "I was so excited that I could hardly sleep. Agonizing, really,"

Marybeth clears her throat. She claps her hands together. "Yes, follow me. Lord Eris has been waiting in the meeting room for you both."

We follow behind the small fae as she bustles down the hallway and the hundreds of wooden steps. The Spymaster walks behind me. As I hurry down the steps, he lets out a low growl in the back of his throat, quiet so that only I hear it. He leans into me and whispers into my ear, "I can see your ass." 

I bounce off the last step as we reach the bottom. I turn and give the Spymaster my sweetest smile. He bares his teeth at me and adjusts his black pants. His hazel eyes erupt with anger. His wings flutter as he brushes past me. "You're going to pay for this, sweet Belladonna," he murmurs.

"Do your worst, Shadowsinger," I challenge. He doesn't look back at me, but his shadows writhe at my words.

Marybeth is oblivious as she leads us toward a large, open-planned room at the end of the hallway. We step inside. This room is modeled similarly to the dining room we saw last night. However, it is wider and taller, with one wall being a completely open window, showing a view of the mountains that sit far behind the south side of the Great Forest. The mountains are snow-capped, much like the ones in Velaris. 

A pang hits my gut. I miss home. I do not miss my mean brother or my frustrating parents, who can not seem to make their minds up if they detest me, but I miss the views from my bedroom window. I miss my medical herbs books and the quietness of being left alone. As exciting as the Autumn Court is, I am still a Night Court fae, drawn to the quiet, cold, and darkness.

I am pulled from the view and my thoughts when Marybeth says, "Here they are, Lord Eris, sorry we kept you waiting. I shall leave you to it."

The small fae inclines her head at Azriel and me as she hurries back out the doors, shutting them behind her gently. I turn around. From the shadows in the room's corner, Eris stands. He steps out and looks between Azriel and me, his eyes full of mystery. 

This morning, he is dressed similarly to the Spymaster. Gone are his luxurious suits, replaced with a simple brown tunic and black, tight pants. On his hip is a long, sheathed sword. The bright red ruby on its hilt gleams in the light as he stops before us, leaning against the conference table. He crosses his long legs out in front of him as he eyes us.