the too-clever fox

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄:

"now, Sturmhond, let's talk, you and I"

With her eyes tracking the illustrations of every tiny island and patch of land, Katerina was closely examining a map that was placed in front of her. To be honest, she has never given maps much thought in her life. Well, there were maps of Ravka in the Little Palace, and while accompanying Kirigan in his war room, she had to stare at them for hours. But they were maps of a land. And it's much easier to tell your bearings when you're on land.

It was safe to assume, though, that the redhead was a little worried, especially given that she was in the middle of the wide sea with nothing to indicate where she was. Everywhere she turned, she saw the vast, blue, and terrifying sea. Of course, she was a little wary of the water around her; after all, fire was her element, not water.

With a sigh, the redhead again directed her gaze on the map. It was difficult for her to predict when they would arrive at Novy Zem because she didn't know where they were. Just when Katerina wanted to throw the map away from frustration, one of the crew members announced a ship in sight.

The redhead walked up the steps where Specht was standing with a spyglass in his hands, looking at the ship that sailed towards them.

"They're flying without any colors. A bit suspicious." He lowered the spyglass and looked at the redhead, whose eyes were still glued to the ship that grew closer and closer with every second.

"If that's the ship I'm looking for, there's a small chance that Alina is there on that very ship. Somehow, I don't believe that the Sun Summoner will be able to walk around villages in Novy Zem unrecognized for long." Katerina breathed out a sigh through her nose.

Specht was looking at her expectantly. "So, what's going to be, boss?"

The redhead was snapped out of her thoughts. She looked at the man with a frown.

"Boss?"

The man shrugged his shoulders. "Well, you're with Brekker, so..."

The redhead said nothing and merely swayed her head with a grin, but once her eyes returned towards the approaching ship, she grew serious again.

"Alright then, listen." She turned towards the man and stared, explaining her plan. "We let the ship approach us. Let them know that you're interested in a chat. Don't tell too much, but also be open to anything they offer. If they inquire, say you're just traders, sailing to Novy Zem."

Specht nodded his head, listening to Katerina's plan.

"Meanwhile, I'm going to keep my profile low, not show myself until I know who's sailing that ship. Got it?"