some new secrets

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑:

"I love it when you talk to me like that"

Although Katerina never imagined herself saying that, but life at sea wasn't all that horrible. During her five days aboard Specht's vessel, the redhead was not doing well. However, now that she is on Volkvolny, everything seems to have changed. Perhaps it was because Katerina was surprised to learn that there were other Grisha on this ship. Or perhaps it was because she didn't worry anymore that she would unintentionally set something on fire and bring the entire ship to ruin when using her powers.

.

.

.

When Katerina emerged from the captain's cabin after her tense and heated discussion with the Sun Summoner and the privateer, night had already fallen. Nikolai showed her a quiet corner with a hammock where she could sleep and informed everyone on the ship about her presence.

If nobody knew much about her in Ketterdam, then everyone on this ship was aware of her identity.

The first few days were the worst. Wherever she went, the crew looked after her with different looks. Some were angry, some were fearful. But no one dared to come up and say what they were thinking straight in her face.

"Don't worry about it, they'll get around."

When she informed Nikolai about the situation, he had an answer ready. "They know you as the Darkling's most trustworthy Grisha. His right hand. They don't know the Katerina Kozlowski, who ran away the moment she learned about Kirigan's plans for the Sun Summoner. Join their conversations, socialize, show them your nice side."

"I don't have a nice side." Katerina grumbled to herself. Arms crossed on her chest, she looked at the crew scattered on the ship.

Nikolai laughed, poking her side. "Yeah, you do. You only need to find it."

He was about to poke her again when she grabbed his hand and looked deep into his eyes. "Poke me again, and you'll find yourself without your finger, privateer."

It was safe to say that Nikolai didn't try anything else after that.

.

.

.

It was nighttime, and most of the crew had gone below deck to sleep. Katerina was leaning against the railing at the bow. She was watching how the ship broke the waves, sending water splashing everywhere. The redhead realized she liked sailing during the night. When there were only the moon and stars to illuminate the water that surrounded them.

She turned when she heard footsteps approaching and saw Mal and Alina making their way in her direction.

"So, how was Novy Zem?" The redhead returned to watching the water while Alina stopped to stand beside her.