[VOL 1] PROLOGUE

Year 2140.

Not a day went by without hearing the sounds of explosions. War after war, death after death, the cycle repeats every day. After a battle ends, a new one occurred. It's a cycle of a never-ending hell. All due to the lust of power and greed by two races. Humans and Mutants. One fought for freedom, while the other fought for the lust of power and destruction. This battle has been going on for centuries. A never-ending battle, a world with every day deaths.

"Anna, we need to get you out of here!"

"No, it's my duty to stay here Rez!"

After centuries of suffering, the battle known as "The Battle of Anthropoid" finally ended. All thanks to a country named "Liberadity" who sought freedom to the world. They led an army full of Humans, and Mutants who seek peace with each other. Those mutants are called "Deviants" who possesses the ability to control elemental energy except Thunder as it represents hatred and vengeance between mutants. By circulating the energy to a certain custom-built weapon, they can freely control the elemental they possess and use them in war as they please.

Surprisingly, the one who managed to end the war was not Humans nor Deviants, it was one of the deadly species of mutants, named "Tarviants". Having to own the somewhat thunder elemental, she was believed to be one of the royal families who rule the islands owned by the Tarviants. Thanks to her, the suffering ended and peace was brought not only to the country but to the whole world.

After the war ended, the two races decided to come up with a truce, which is to always lend a helping hand if any of them needs it. As for the Tarviants, they are locked in an area that consist of country with five islands, each with their own royal families. The Islands are surrounded by Liberadity to keep an eye on. The task was given to them as they were the ones who stopped the war that's been going on for centuries.

He went silent. As much as he wants to get her to safety, he admits that they are currently at a disadvantage in this war and the only one who can turn the tide, is her. He clenched his fists, frustrated with the current situation. Once again, he gave her a strong gaze as their eyes met. The looks on her face is clearly telling him to let her stay here.

Anna Masako, a high rank Paladin in Liberadity. Paladins are groups of knights or soldiers that includes both Humans and Deviants as their members. Most of them however are Deviants, since the unit was specifically made to gather and study them. They were given permission by the current Deviant World Leaders (DWL).

With a heavy heart, he admits defeat to her stubbornness. Immediately, he calls his personal unit to accompany her and her squad to ensure her safety. A few soldiers then approached them. Anna carved a smile. She walks towards Rez.

"I'm sorry for making you do this. It's hard for me too. But-"

"You have to come back alive Anna." He cuts her off.

"... "

She hesitated. Not because of his words, but the realization of leaving someone behind, and she knows who he's referring to.

Softly, she released a sigh.

"If worse comes to worse, please do me a favor." She gave him a relaxed look.

His eyes widened like he saw a ghost and shivers ran through his spine. Knowing what she's about to ask, he quickly turns around. His courage suddenly went from a hundred to zero.

Realizing his expression, she immediately holds his shirt softly. The atmosphere turned quite awkward. As the two of them were never seen like that before, either in private, public, or on the battlefield. Rez and Anna became silent. The tension between those two over the years still hasn't left them, to which only they knew what kind of tension it was.