Chapter 7 - Wren

Authors Note:

OH MY GOD GUYS THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!! I NEVER EXPECTED SO MANY READS AND SO MANY KIND READERS!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 150+ READS!! 

Sorry for the long wait, so here it is! Enjoy!

-Sheepi

I wasn't expecting Maven to come back so quickly. It had only been a few days since the would've death of Mare Barrow, if not for me, of course. So when they came down to the cells, I was surprised to see the King and Mare walk in front of our cages.

They walk past my cage, Maven speeding past me, but I catch Mare's eyes before she's yanked past me. They stop in front of Evangeline's cell, Maven right in front of the bars, and Mare as far as she can be, the chain taut in Maven's hand. "Evangeline," He finally says.

There's silence. I see Evangeline also move towards the bars, inches away from Maven. "Finally come to visit me," She says. He only smirks.

"Mare has something to say to you. To both of you," He says, looking over at me. Mare's head rises.

"I do?"

"Don't you want to thank them for almost freeing you?" He asks, pulling on her chain. She comes stumbling forward, almost tripping at Maven's feet. "Say whatever you want to say. There will be no consequences." Mare doesn't speak. She stares at her feet, her hands shaking at her sides. "Have nothing to say? That's fine,"

He steps right to the bars and wraps his hand around one. "I've been wondering where the Haven girl and your brother have been. Surprisingly, they haven't come for you yet. What are they doing together, without you?" Evangeline growls at him.

"Shut your filthy mouth," She spits at him.

"I'm speaking truths, for once I guess," He smiles and looks at Mare. She doesn't look up from her feet. He turns around and grins fully at Evangeline. "The once great Evangeline Samos. Look how far you've fallen."

She glares at him. Her resolve is falling. "You've fallen more than I have,"

"Oh? How's that?" Maven asks mockingly.

"A prince with all he could ever have- a girl who chose you over a king, a loving family, a life with everything you needed- yet you killed your father and killed any love anyone ever had for you. You started your reign on weak ground, but once your mother died, or dare I say, was killed, you didn't know where to stand. You are teetering at the edge of a big cliff, but once you start to fall, the crown will fall with you. Without your mother, you don't know how to act, or what to be. You're a broken boy, Calore, and that's all you'll ever be."

I can feel the temperature of the room increase. Mare takes a step back. Maven slaps Evangeline, drawing blood, and she goes sprawling across the cell floors. Maven drops Mare's leash and opens the cage door. "You bitch, I'll make sure you pay for that," He says, fire bursting around him.

"Stop!" Mare screams. "Stop! Don't do it, you can't hurt her! Her family will wage war against you! Don't hurt her!" I know Mare is surprised just as we are. Maven stops and looks at her. She takes a step back and quickly gathers her chains. His fire isn't burning as much, but it's still there.

"I can't?" He closes the cage door and takes a step forward to Mare. Evangeline has been forgotten."Or I shouldn't?" Mare backs up as much as she can. Her back is pressed against the doors, and if she tried to open them, guards would surround her easily.

I can see her panic. What has Maven done to her, that she is so rattled? Her eyes suddenly grow defiant. When Maven comes closer, she moves forward, gripping her chain, and wields it as a whip. I can see the blood being drawn from her neck, the collar's sharp points digging into her skin, but if there's any pain, she doesn't show it.

Maven laughs. "You both are friends now? She saved you once, and now you repay the favor? Interesting," He takes another step forward, and without hesitation, Mare uses her chain to hit him across the chest. It's a weak attempt, but Maven looks surprised.

"Stay away," She warns. His shock wears off and he tries to catch the chain, but Mare even in silent stone manacles, is faster than him. She yanks it back and uses the momentum to strike him across his back. It has to hurt. Maven's playfulness is replaced with anger.

He quickly throws a fireball in Mare's direction, but she barely moves out of the way. It singes a gaping hole through the doors. Mare continues to swing her chain in a circle.

I see Maven mouth something, maybe to Mare?- But I don't understand what he said. A flash of movement behind Mare distracts me and I don't have any time to warn her, because an Arven grabs Mare from behind and wrenches her chain away from her hand.

She gasps, either from the surprise or from pain, but she can't move at all, not even to squirm in his grasp. "Y-you can't even face me by yourself," She pants. "Always needing someone else to solve your problems," Maven's smile disappears.

"I can solve them just fine, I can demonstrate," She pales. "Come, we're leaving." She looks around, and we make eye contact. I shake my head slightly and try to smile, you must, not just for yourself, but for us too. She shuts her eyes as the Arven releases her and hands the leash to the King.

"You may have been forgotten today Evangeline, and you should thank Mare for that. But next time I won't be so lenient." He shoves Mare out of the dungeons and the doors slam shut.

"There won't be a next time," Evangeline mumbles. "I'll either be out of here by then, or dead."

I hope for the first one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH NO!! What's Mavey gonna do to poor Mare? And is Evangeline losing hope? What's gonna happen next??? 

Hahaha I'm sorry for this one guys, but I'll be posting around the same time next week. I think my schedule will be on Wednesdays cause I'm usually free around that time! 

Sorry my friends! Hope you enjoyed!

😈😈😈😈

- Sheepi