FOURTEEN

"5, 6, 7, 8! 1, 2, 3, 4!" I kept chanting while continuing to move my feet in a slow and swift motion

I had been practicing 'The Lindy Hop' nonstop since I had returned home—locked in my room and away from everyone. Ivy and Levi's record played again on my radio.

Wearing my new dancing shoes, I was finally starting to get the hang of the flow Julian was going on so much about and having a blast—even if it was way more work than I had physically done all year. I could feel myself starting to rapidly sweat.

But just as I was about to progress in my stance and stamina the more I kept moving to the beat, I suddenly heard the words that could ruin this moment of peace completely.

"Miss Dashwood?" One of the butlers knocked on my door. "Your dinner is ready, madam."

Oh great. Just what I didn't need right now.

I knew I should've been incredibly grateful I was granted permission to even be eating at all tonight after my whole hair debacle, but to be in the same room with my Aunt and Father for thirty minutes or more was going to be a true disaster.

"Oh, uh, yes! Just a minute!" I frantically shouted, kicking the shoes off without a minute to lose in case someone wanted to barge in to drag me down there.

Racing to hide the rest of the bags that had been resting on my bed, I grabbed them and threw everything in the closet—accidentally tripping on my own dress while falling flat on my face as probably the entire house heard the loud 'thump!'

"Madam? What was that noise? Are you okay?"

"Uh yes! Why wouldn't I be? I'm always okay!" I jumped back up, fixing my messy and wild hair now that had sprung into my face before I pushed it back.

"Do you need someone to come back and get you, my lady?" He soon wondered.

The only thing that would make this awaiting feast worse would be him coming back to get me. Knowing my family, they'd say how I was so selfish in making them wait too long.

"No, no, no! No thank you! I've got it!" I rushed to the door, opening it up and smiling—doing my best to hide the panic in my eyes. "See!" I shyly cleared my throat, scratching my temples nervously.

"Huh. I thought I heard you going into your closet. Did you need someone to get something out of there for you?" He tried to go in.

"No! I mean, it's fine Baileywick! Really. I just...got into a fight with a bird that flew in my window. I trapped him in there for a moment. Yes! But don't worry, I already set him back free, so let us go." I left, slamming the door shut.

Eying me strangely, he nodded slowly and a bit suspicious until finally leading me downstairs. "What is with you and getting into tussles with animals and insects lately?"