Chapter One: Piper

The doors leaving Litchfield prison opened wide, as if the outside world was opening its arms to embrace me. There were no COs around, which was very odd. I looked down the hallway behind me, and then all around the lobby, checking for any sign of an authority figure.
"Hello?" I called out. My voice echoed, giving me goosebumps. The silence was eerie. No one was in sight, so I decided to make a run for it.
As I began to sprint out the door, I heard a loud crash and saw a bright light.
My eyes snapped open as I jerked awake, rolling out of bed and landing on the cold, dirty floor. The harsh lights above our beds flashed on, temporarily blinding my tired eyes.
"Wake up, lesbians," a voice yelled into our sleeping quarters. "There's some...great news you'll all be dying to hear." I didn't even have to see him to know it was Mr. Healy talking. The sarcastic tone of his voice was easily recognizable. Everyone knew Mr. Healy was homophobic, and we all despised him for it.
I groaned as I peeled myself off the floor, flopping onto my uncomfortable bed. Across the cube was Crazy Eyes, staring at me. Changing your bunk mates was a common thing here; we were never with the same person for a long period of time.
"What did I tell you about staring at me, Suzanne?" I asked, yawning.
"Sorry, Dandelion," she said, winking. "You just look so sexy in the morning with your sleepy hair."
I smiled, and rolled my eyes. "You know Alex is my girlfriend, right?"
Crazy Eyes just sighed and nodded. "But when her tall, hot badass self dumps you, I'll be waiting for you."
I laughed, standing up."Thanks, Suzanne. I appreciate your offer. Now let's go see what that asshole woke us up early for."
My mind was racing as we all followed Mr. Healy down the hall. I was worried, because if he said that the news was great, even if he was being sarcastic, it could be something awful. He loved to see bad things happen to the prisoners. Immediately I thought of Alex, and wondered where she was. My pulse raced as I looked around for her. She was nowhere in sight, and my heart sank when I saw that she wasn't in the rec room with everyone else.