Chapter Six: Alex

I groaned as I folded the last uniform and put it on the pile of clean laundry. We were told that our work shifts were ending early today and that we had to immediately return for count, which wasn't normal. So I had rushed, quickly folding the uniforms. "Sorry to whoever has a shitty fold job," I muttered as I left, going back to my dorm.
I stood outside my cube, wishing it was in the same room as Piper's. Nights at Litchfield were long and lonely, and it would be nice to be able to talk to the girl I love. But unfortunately I shared a cube with Pennsatucky, who I couldn't stand, and who also wasn't present.
I turned to Morello whose cube was to the right of mine and said, "That bitch is gonna get a lot of shit for missing count."
Before Morello could answer, two COs burst through the door, one holding onto the leash of a drug dog.
They came over to my cube, and started searching Pennsatucky's side. The dog sniffed the bed, and sat down, looking up at the COs. The one patted its head and said, "Good boy." He lifted up her pillow and took it out of the case, revealing several bags of meth. "Bingo. Glad we found this out before she started selling it." He turned to face the rest of us. "Anyone have anything to share? You're all getting searched anyway, so you might as well fess up to make it easier on us."
No one said anything, so the COs just rolled their eyes and proceeded to search the rest of the cubes. "Stupid bitches," one muttered, yanking back blankets left and right.
I snorted, pleased. It was a relief that I wouldn't have to see the toothless face of meth across the cube from me anymore. There was no possible roommate worse than her, so anyone as a replacement would be a gift. The chances of it being Piper were slim, but I still had my hopes.
After the COs and drug dog finished their search, they announced, "All clear!" and everyone went their separate ways.
Morello came over and sat down next to me on my bed. "I'm so happy I don't have to hear her complaining anymore. I don't know how you dealt with being 3 feet away from her every night."
I cringed, remembering the one night she threw a cross at me, saying I needed Jesus.
"I don't know how I did it either, Morello," I said. "I'm just thankful she's gone forever. I hope she rots even more in max than her teeth."
"Me too," Morello said, laughing. "Hey, thank you again for letting me be your maid of honor. It truly is...an honor!"
"No problem," I said, smiling. "You're one of the nicest people here, so why the hell not?" I patted her on the back, and got up. "I'm gonna go find Piper."
Morello waved goodbye as I left, heading to the C dorm.