Chapter Nine: Piper

"Alex!" I shrieked, watching her collapse onto the floor. My heart shattered, and my world stopped. I couldn't breathe.
But then, the anger. I began to see red. In that moment, the adrenaline rushed through my body, and nothing could stop me. As Kubra was reloading the gun, I grabbed a screwdriver and threw it at his hand, stabbing him and causing him to drop the gun. He cried out in shock, gripping his now bleeding hand.
I ran over, slammed into him with all my body weight, pushing him back a few feet. I kicked him in the nuts and bent down to pick up the gun. Kubra lunged at me, knocking me over face first onto the ground. But the gun was still in my hand, so I took a chance, aimed behind me, ducked, and shot. There was a sickening sound as I sent a bullet straight through his skull.
I pushed him off of me, and weakly stood up. I looked over at Alex, who lay limply on the ground.
"No," I said, tears blurring my vision. The next thing I knew I was on my knees. I couldn't live without Alex. My Alex. My life was nothing without her; there was simply no purpose. Without Alex Vause, I was a nobody. I belonged to nobody. I had nothing. It was as if someone reached into my chest and ripped out my heart. There was nothing but a gaping hole without her. I sat there for who knows how long, trying to figure out what to do.
The door opened and the police rushed in, right as I put the cold barrel of the gun to my temple. I looked over to see an officer running towards me.
"Ma'am, don't!" he yelled, diving towards me as I pulled the trigger.
Blackness.