Chapter Twelve: Piper

I sat down. The call was from five days ago. I immediately called her back, my heart in my throat. On the third ring, she picked up, and I heard my sweet angel's voice. Maybe I really was dead; everything felt surreal. And to hear my girl's voice was definitely heavenly.
"Piper!" she said. "Where are you? They told me you got released, too! I have so much to tell you. Did you know Kubra is dead? It's all over, Pipes. We're safe now." I could barely hear over the sound of my beating heart.
"Alex, I need to see you. Come to my hotel. It's on the corner of 10th and 7th. I'm room 1024. Please come now."
"Of course," she said. "I'll be there in 20 minutes. I'm walking. See you soon, shnookums." The line went dead, and I put my phone down.
My Alex was alive. I believed it because of hearing her precious voice, but I'd only fully understand it until I wrapped my arms around her strong, beautiful body. I got up and paced once again; I feared that I'd wear a track into the floor.
About 15 minutes later, I heard a knock on the door. I sprinted over, unlocked it, and there she was. My angel standing in front of me. I jumped into her arms and began to sob uncontrollably. Alex closed the door, and carried me over to the bed. She held me as I cried into her chest, ruining her shirt. We stayed like that until my breaths were even. When I pulled back to talk to her, I realized she was crying too.
"They didn't tell me anything about you," she said. "All they said is that you got hurt too and released. I was so worried about you."
"Alex," I said through thick tears. "I thought you were dead. I shot Kubra and then myself, but the bullet missed my brain."
"Oh God, Piper," she said. "I got shot in the shoulder, not the heart. I was fine, just unconscious. Why would you ever..."
"I can't live without you," I said, breaking down even more. "You're the love of my life. Without you, I'm nothing." She hugged me, holding me tighter than ever before.
Alex wiped away my tears, so I wiped away hers and smiled at her gorgeous face. She kicked my neatly folded clothes off the bed and onto the floor, and laid down.
"Hey, I spent a lot of time folding those!" I said, laughing.
"Shut up and be my little spoon," Alex said, pulling me down. I turned around to face her, and leaned in for a kiss.
"I love you," she said. "Remember, I don't say that to everyone. And as my fiancé, you definitely have to say it back." She winked at me, referring to the first time she told me she loved me. I'd never forget that day, for it was one of the best days of my life.
"I love you, too," I whispered, cuddling even closer to her. I literally craved her touch, and needed to be as close as possible. Alex wrapped her arms around me, and it felt like coming home. I never felt so safe in my life.
We fell asleep together, heart to heart.