CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I walk into the lobby of the tower and quickly show my badge to the receptionist with a short smile. I stride with confidence through the security gates as they open up and am greeted by a short unfamiliar girl. She looks a little younger than me and is wearing a pencil skirt and white blouse with pointed heels. She perks up when she spots me and hastily walks over to me.

"Oh good, you're here!" She smiles at me in relief. "Todays been absolutely crazy! Your name was Jane right?"

I nod as I look her sceptically up and down. The energy radiating off the girl was something I'd never seen before.

"Good, great! Follow me please, I'll take you to see Miss Potts," she chirps and walks to the elevators. "We've all been so busy with the preparations for the event on Thursday. Are you excited? Because I am! Tony Stark's parties are something you must experience. If we're lucky we might even see him in his Iron Man suit! I've already picked out my dress and-"

The girl doesn't stop talking and rambles on as we walk into the elevator. She quickly holds her badge up to the electronic pad and presses a button. The doors of the elevator slide closed and we agonisingly slowly move upwards, trapped with this creature.

"Hmm," I reply to her, not sure how to interact in this situation as I'm only half registering what she says to me.

"-but the last time was absolutely craazy, Mister Stark almost shot a few of the guests with his lasers and I swear you not, PEED in his suit. Sooo many celebrities will be there, I heard Captain America might even show up," she continues as the numbers on the LED display count up. "The cocktails at his bar are absolutely to DIE for, this one time I-"

"Sorry," I interject. "You said... Captain America might show up?"

"Oh my god, yes. He's such a hunk. But it might just be gossip so I wouldn't get your hopes up," she says, overexcited and looks up at me. "You a fan?"

"Eh- I- Something like that," I say with an awkward smile, praying for this elevator to move any faster.

"I mean why wouldn't you be?" She swoons. "If ever I came near that man I'd- Oh, that was fast! We're here!"

The elevator emits a soft ding as its doors gracefully slide open, unveiling a sprawling open office space with breathtaking modern architecture. Several desks, adorned with stacks of meticulously organised folders and sleek computers, are strategically placed throughout the expansive floor plan. The walls, composed entirely of floor-to-ceiling glass panels, flood the space with natural light, offering panoramic views of the bustling city below. Interspersed amidst the transparency of the glass are spacious glass-enclosed office rooms, each exuding an air of prestige and sophistication.

Scattered throughout the area are inviting lounge areas, furnished with plush seating arrangements that beckon weary workers to pause and unwind amidst the hustle and bustle of the corporate world. Here and there, elegantly dressed individuals navigate the space with purpose, their attire reflecting the polished professionalism that permeates the environment. Engrossed in their tasks, they move with determined strides, their attention divided between the devices clutched in their hands and the folders tucked under their arms.

"This way!" The girl quickly strides forwards into the hectic bubble and navigates me towards one of the glass offices in the back. The girl continues talking at a rapid pace, but I can't help but zone out of her conversation as I take in the busy scene around me. To my relief I see the familiar face of Pepper Potts behind the glass door of the office. Her face lights up as she sees me and the small creature approach. She quickly walks up to us and opens the door, gesturing us to enter.