CHAPTER EIGHT

Before I know it I'm pulled from my sleep by a door loudly opening, and the room flooding with bright outdoor lighting as the curtains next to me are ripped open.

"Wake up," the Winter Soldier says a little too loud, as he looms over my body, wrapped up in the duvet on the floor. His blue piercing eyes boring into my soul, looking a little confused at me.

"I'm up, I'm up. Good Morning to you too, sunshine," I grunt as I push myself off the floor, registering the room that I'm in, acclimatising to the bright daylight.

"Why are you sleeping on the floor?" The Winter Soldier asks in a flat tone as he waits for me to get up. "We have a bed."

"Well..." I huff out as I stand up and throw the duvet and pillow back on the bed. "It's like I'm lying on a goddamn marshmallow. I feel like I'm sinking right into the floor."

The Winter Soldier just stares at me in confusion.

"You'll see soon enough," I laugh at him. "I'm gonna take a shower." I walk over to the dresser and find some clean towels. I grab one and walk past him to the chair. I reach over and grab the pile of clothes I put there the night before.

"Like what you see, Soldat?" I say with a smirk as I cross past him again in just my underwear and tank top, walking through the door. I cross the living room and hear the Winter Soldier pull out the chair he sat on last night, and sit back on it. I smirk as I see him stare at me as I walk into the bathroom, and pull the door behind me closed.

I quickly jump under the shower after undressing, and shampoo and condition my hair. I grab a soap bar that lays on a little tray and quickly clean my body. For a brief moment I just stand there, and let the water cascade down my face and body. A brief moment of bliss, mentally preparing for my first day at the Start Tower.

But I'm quickly snapped back into reality with a loud impatient bounce on the bathroom door.

"Hurry." A low loud voice booms behind the door.

"Calm your horses! I'm almost done!"

I turn off the shower and quickly dry myself off. I walk over to the pile of clothing and slip on a silk bra and underwear, and carefully put on the white shirt and pants. The healing bruises and cuts are mostly covered by them. Brushing out my hair and blow dry it as fast as humanly possible, and put some oil in it I found in the little cupboard above the sink that said "Silk Hair Serum". Sounds good to me, slap it on there.

I close the cupboard and stare at my reflection. My face is luckily free of bruises, but the bags under my eyes are definitely noticeable. My pale skin and white hair are a stark contrast to them, only enhanced by my bright light green eyes. I stare down at the rest of my body that I can see in the mirror. I could tell the training with the Winter Soldier had toned my body, but the food they served at HYDRA only nourished me just enough to keep my energy levels operating. I quickly brush a final time through my long straight white hair. I run my hands over the clothing I'm wearing. It's the first time in years I've worn something different than the usual cargo's or sweats Hydra gave me. It felt strange, unfamiliar, but nice? I stare at myself in the mirror, taking in my new self.

"I guess it'll have to do," I huff, and open the bathroom door.

I am greeted with the Winter Soldier, who stands in the middle of the room, holding up the pair of high heels.

"Uuuuugh," I groan out. "Please don't make me do this."

"You're late. The car is waiting outside," he says with a low voice as he walks towards me. He pushes the shoes into my hands and waits for me to put them on.

I grab them and slip my feet into them. Honestly, the shoes are more comfortable than they look. I rise up and take a step forward, almost breaking my ankle as I stumble towards the soldier. The Winter Soldier stares at me, and that godforsaken corner of his mouth slightly moves up, fucking enjoying seeing me struggle.

"Asshole," I mutter under my breath as I straighten my back, and fix my posture. "Don't even dare to say a fucking word." The anger in my words did a poor job hiding the obvious embarrassment in my tone.

He holds out an arm and I steady myself as I walk towards the front door of the small apartment. "You look... nice," he says in a monotone voice as I open the door.

"Really? Carefull there cyborg, you might start developing human emotions," I laugh at him with a small smile as I walk out of the apartment. "Don't burn the place down while I'm gone, toaster."

As I half stumble down the stairs of our building, by the last set of stairs I'm getting the hang of these heels.

Bloody torture devices for feet. I open the front door to the building and am greeted by a busy city street. People in similar outfits as mine are walking in a hurry up and down the street, loud sounds of car exhaust pollute my ears, and I smell wet concrete and gasoline. I get accustomed to the bright light of the stark blue sky, and breathe in a deep breath to calm my nerves. I look around and see, of all people, Rumlow leaning against an expensive looking car.

"Of all people, they'd have to send him," I mutter to myself.

"Jane Rushmen?" He says to me with a smirk, and opens up the door of the car, gesturing me to enter.

"Rumlow, can't say it's nice to see you again," I say to him as I walk past him and get into the back of the car.

"Likewise," he smiles with hate and pushes the door behind me closed. He gets into the front passenger seat. Behind the steering wheel sits an unfamiliar handler. He starts up the car and in seconds we're on our way to the Stark Tower. I zone out as I stare out the window, noticing the buildings around us becoming taller and taller. I don't think I'll ever get used to this. The small world I knew at HYDRA, in one aggressive slap being torn open, introducing a whole new world to me.

"We're here, Buttercup. Look alive," Rumlow snaps me out of my daydream. The car comes to a halt and Rumlow gets out to open up the door for me. I step out and feel my heels touch the pavement. I look up and in front of me is the building I saw pictured in the file Strucker handed me yesterday. The Stark Tower. The building is much larger than I imagined it to be. A colossal structure that dominates the skyline with its sleek, modern design. Its towering height dwarfs surrounding buildings, and the reflective surface of its exterior glints in the sunlight, giving it an aura of power and sophistication. The iconic Stark Industries logo emblazoned near the pinnacle serves as a reminder of the tower's connection to one of the world's foremost technological innovators, Tony Stark.

"Don't even think of running off, we have eyes everywhere. I'd hate to ruin that cute outfit of yours, Shadow." I can feel Rumlows breath in my neck as he talks to me in a threatening and low voice.

"Stop lying to yourself, dickhead," I spew back at him and push him off me.

I walk towards the entrance and leave Rumlow behind me, feeling a sense of confidence wash over me.