CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

"I'm never using stairs again," I gasp, gripping the handrail for support. A large number 4 is painted on the wall, and I sigh in relief. The stone clutched tightly in my hand had given me the strength to descend the seemingly endless spiral staircases with an unprecedented speed, but despite the extra energy, I was nearing my limit.

Summoning one last burst of energy, I prop myself up and continue my descent. Just as I plant my feet on the next step, a loud roaring sound echoes from the distance. The bannister vibrates under my grip, and the entire stairwell feels as if it's shaking from an earthquake.

"What in the-"

Another excruciatingly loud noise echoed from above me, and a set of horrific crashes and broken concrete reverb through the space, closing in on me with extreme speed.

"SO MANY STAIRS!!" A booming voice yells out.

Hulk

"Fuuuuck me," I breathe out.

I throw myself down the next flight of stairs, the roar and thunder of pursuit growing louder. As I land on the floor below, I glance up and see the outline of the massive green monster, now only a dozen flights above me, crashing down with terrifying speed. Struggling to stay upright amidst the crumbling concrete, I spot the Floor 0 sign just ahead. Racing against time, I muster every ounce of strength to reach the exit before the monster catches me.

But it's too late. Just as I step onto the final staircase, the green monster catches up. In a state of shock, I look up, hoping for some sort of connection or communication to make it pause. But there's no sign of stopping. In a desperate attempt to evade the hulk, I leap, skipping the last few steps, but it's not enough.

With an ear-splitting roar, the Hulk barrels straight through me, completely ignoring my presence. I'm catapulted through wood and concrete like a rag doll, crashing into several people before landing heavily on the ground.

"NO STAIRS!" The Hulk roars out in the distance.

A spike of pain runs through my body. I have no idea how the hell I even survived this long, but if shit like this kept happening it wouldn't be for long.

"I'm truly flattered you wanted to see me this desperately again, but usually when people throw themselves at a god, it's not done in the literal sense," Loki's amused, silky voice whispers beneath me.

Only now do I realise that the ground I landed on is, in fact, Loki's body. His face is illuminated by a devilish grin that stretches from ear to ear, his eyes gleaming with a mischievous intensity as he studies my expression. His hair, a cascade of raven-black locks, frames his sharp features and adds to the wicked charm that he so effortlessly exudes. I can feel his chest rising and falling beneath me, each breath a reminder of the chaotic heartbeat of the moment. The cool leather of his Asgardian attire blends in seamlessly with the icy touch of his body, sending shivers down my spine.

His deep emerald eyes fixate on mine, and for a brief moment, I catch a glimpse of something hidden behind their mischievous facade—an emotion that could only be described as concern. The hatred I had formed towards him not too long ago begins to soften as I notice the bruises and cuts scattered across his face, marrying his otherwise flawless skin.

For a split second, I hesitate, my mind struggling to register the bizarre reality of my situation. But the illusion shatters as the familiar sound of arguing voices penetrates my consciousness, pulling me back to the harshness of reality.

Frustration and pain merge into a single raw emotion. I flick my hair out of my face with an angry jerk, wincing as the movement sends a sharp jolt through my body. With a pained grunt, I push myself to my feet, each motion a battle against the searing agony coursing through me. I stumble backward, my legs unsteady, barely managing to stay upright.