Witchcraft 101

"Hey, come on, we both need a brea-GYAAAAAAAH!!"

Behind Meiling was Patchouli, her hand touching the back of Meiling's neck. Her palm and fingers were glowing blue, and a stream of water was falling from her fingertips.

"Already trying to interfere with my research, and to fool around with those stupid oni, no less." The librarian looks at me with an annoyed face. "I hope you didn't forget about our appointment. Without Koakuma, I had to gather the things myself. I won't forgive you if you dare accept her invitation to visit those muscleheaded brutes."

After tormenting Meiling a bit more, she takes a seat next to her. Acting like nothing happened. Meiling was shivering, her back completely soaked. "T-t-t-there w-was n-no n-n-need f-for that, L-lady P-Patchouli..."

Patchouli huffed with a small smirk on her face. "Don't worry, it was just a bit of cold water. You won't get sick from that. But in case you do, you can join us, I need to practice how to do healing magic, after all."

Meiling's face went from discomfort to shock. She turned to me, her eyes are wide open. "...Is she smiling?"

Oh, right. I got used to this new, more expresive Patchouli when she decided to read her books in my room. "Uh...  Well, you have to admit your reaction was a bit funny... pft..." I can't help it but start laughing and Patchouli joins me too. We laugh even harder at Meiling's surprised face after hearing Patchouli laugh that loud.

Dinner was really fun, although Meiling had a mix of horror and surprise on her face while talking to the librarian, stopping several times through the conversation to ask Patchouli if she felt okay. After we finished eating, Patchouli left us before giving us a... 'playful' threat if I stood her up tomorrow. The gatekeeper decided to walk me to my room, and, man, she bombarded me with questions about Patchouli.

"But did you see her? Did you hear her!? This is the first time ever I see her smiling like that, laughing like that!" She doesn't even let me answer any of her questions, and when I reach my door, she pushes me inside and follows me, still parroting about what happened during dinner. "But wait, why am I the only one freaking out about this!? Why are you so calm!? Since when is she so gi-"

"Hey, knock it off! You're giving a headache." I sit on my bed, yawning and stretching my limbs. I'm still sore after today's training. "Jeez, you weren't lying about having energy to spare. And I don't know, is really that big of a deal?"

She nods energetically. "Yes it is! But, I can't blame you, you didn't live with her for several decades. Ever since she started living here, she was always this gloomy, sarcastic and snarky book rat. In fact, I think this is the first time I had dinner with her. The only times she left her library, was to have dinner or tea parties with Lady Remilia." She stays quiet for a bit and then pouts. "And the only times she ever said something to me, was to mock me for reading manga, or berating me for not reading those creepy books of hers."

I would be lying if I said I'm surprised. I can totally see her being a NEET. Even Sakuya, Koakuma and Meiling work here, she's basically freeloading off Remilia. But wow, what a prick. "Huh, is that so? Can't say I didn't expect that. Whenever she wants to act like a smartass, I feel like tossing her books through the window."

Meiling chuckles, shaking her head. "You can say that again. But, oh well, if she's laughing and smiling, maybe we're about to witness the birth of a friendly Lady Patchouli. Oh! I remember one time where an earthquake shook Gensokyo..."

She took a sit on my bed while I stood up to change my clothes to a clean set of pajamas. She kept on talking about a certain incident that happened sometime ago. Non stop. I was able to change in front of her and she didn't even bothered to look away. Finally dressed in something more comfortable, I sit next to her on my bed as she finished her story. "...but it was all a dream! I woke up in the library. That's when Sakuya dragged me inside. Man, that summer sure was hot."