eight

Vincent Thompson

She snores when she sleeps.

I couldn't help but smile as I looked back at her.

Every so often she'd mumble a couple words in her sleep and roll around.

I'm starting to regret the whole bet idea...

I thought if I were to pull out all the big stunts she'd fall for me—just like everyone else.

I'm quite the charmer and never have been rejected.

She's going to make me work for her, I just know it.

Aidan did warn me that she was a virgin and wouldn't care to sleep with me unless she loved me.

She said it herself about her relationship with Max.

Who ever really loved me?

It's all starting to sound worse and worse the more I think about it.

This is an actual person, with actual feelings... Not just hers, but my own too.

Something about her makes me feel different. Changed.

When she smiles, it fills me with happiness. She reminds me of the sun rising, the beginning of a new day.

She could be my new beginning. Could she?

Her hair always faintly smells like lavender and it makes me feel safe.

Most importantly though, she has this fierce attitude. She doesn't feel as if she has to prove herself to anyone.

She's just Scarlett. My Scarlett.

She'd never be mine. Not unless she somehow loved me.

Why would she want to be with me anyway? I'm so fucked up.

This whole situation is so fucked up. How can I string along this beautiful girl just for money?

I only wished I could have gotten my parents the proper help before they got to where they were.

She forces me to think. Something I don't do too often.

My thoughts are usually hockey, parties, food, the boys, and babes.

Her curious thoughts that she blurts out sometimes always intrigue me.

What's got her thinking so much?

I'm starting to find myself thinking about her stupid questions about purpose and meaning in life.

About four hours have gone by since we got back and I scroll through my phone to text Aidan that I wanted out of this bet.

Is it worth bailing to lose my car and captain title...

Before I could decide, she started waking up.

"How long was I out for?" she groans as she rubs her eyes.

"It's almost four-thirty," I shrug.

"And you stayed here that whole time?"

"Yeah, where else was I gonna go?" I mumble.

Her sweatpants rolled up past her ankles and her hair was a mess. She looks cute though.

"I'm gonna text the guys to order some pizza, can't be at the clubs on an empty stomach," I suggest.

She mumbles something before grabbing the blanket and covering her face.

The light from the sun is seeping in from her window and going directly into her eyes.

I laugh as I text the group chat to get a couple of pizzas and tell Dante to come with us later.