forty

Vincent Thompson

The funeral was different from what I had for my father. Hundreds of people attended.

Scarlett spends the entire time crying and not speaking to anyone. I can't imagine how hard this is on her. To lose the two people you truly love.

We were all there for her, but she didn't want anyone to stick around. She didn't want us to see her all helpless and vulnerable.

I told coach I'd be back in a week. I couldn't just leave her here all alone. Classes started last Monday and I don't think she's planning to come back any time soon.

"Are you ready to clean up their room?" I ask as I watch her move the flowers from the table to the garbage.

"Flowers always remind me of my mother," she says in a sulky tone.

It's been five days of us just sitting in the house, eating takeout, and sleeping. I'm starting to worry that she won't get out of this funk.

"Scar, please. How about we go outside for a few minutes? We can't just keep sitting here baby," I coo as she angrily places down the flower vase resulting in it shattering.

"No. I don't want to go anywhere," she mumbles as she runs upstairs and slams the door to her bedroom.

I grab a broom and clean up the broken glass that lies on the floor. This isn't her. This isn't my Scarlett.

What else can I do?

Now that I had a moment to myself, I decided to call the girls and see what they thought would help her best.

"She's really not doing well, and I gotta leave in the afternoon. Coach is gonna kill me for taking all this time off when we have a game tomorrow," I explain.

"Did you try her aunt? They get along pretty well," Kaia suggests.

"We can come up tomorrow!" Stella intervenes.

"Yeah, maybe we'll convince her to get out!" Brooke shouts back.

"I've already tried everything. She doesn't want to go."

"Why don't we give her a little space?" Kaia suggests again. "Vin, when your dad died, didn't you just want to be left alone?"

"I mean, I guess. But I was kinda busy trying to figure shit out. I never was close to my parents the way she is," I argue back.

I can't remember exactly how I felt. It was difficult to pinpoint one exact feeling about my father. His death added an immersive amount of pain and stress, but at least I gained a brother.

"Let's keep thinking tonight and we'll get back to you in the morning?"  Brooke offers. I thank them and hang up.

I walk upstairs and see the door open just a crack. I nod gently as the door creeks further open.

"Can I come in please?"

"Yeah," she mumbles as she faces the wall. I sit at the foot of her bed and she wipes her tears with the back of her hand.

"I heard everything. I know you need to leave tomorrow."

"Why don't you come with me? I can bring you back after the game?"

Maybe this would be a great way to get her out. Remind her that she's surrounded by people who love her. I know everyone misses her back home.

"Everyone misses you Scar. We don't want to you be alone," as I rub her back softly in a circular motion.

"I miss them," she choked out before sobbing into her pillow.

"Scar, this isn't healthy. You can't isolate yourself from everyone, please, just think about it?"