twenty five

Vincent Thompson

"Stop messaging Beck, Vince!"

How could I stop? He's out here posting of Scarlett in a bedroom!

"She's not your girlfriend, you need to just leave her alone," Thomas insists.

"I'm gonna fix this T, I just know I can!"

Can I fix this? Is there even a way to fix this?

She said I hadn't changed, and I needed to prove to her that I had. I'm not the same guy she met two months ago.

We just left the airport, and I can't stop thinking of what I did back there.

I probably shouldn't have kissed her, but I don't think I would have survived without doing that.

She's like a drug. I'm addicted to her. Her smell, her taste, everything about her, it drives me crazy.

She wouldn't hook up with her best friend's brother? Would she?

"You wanna stop at mine first?"

And see Patrick. No chance.

"Um, maybe, I'm not sure yet if I should go see my dad..."

"That would be nice Vin, I bet he misses you."

I missed him. As shitty as he is as a father. I miss him.

Maybe he'd have more information on where to find my mother. She did send that letter a little while back.

"Yeah, just drop off my stuff at yours, and I'll come back later to hang.

He nods and informs the taxi that we're gonna make a stop on the way to his house.

The ride goes quiet and I think of all the times Thomas and I would play hockey to get away from our problems.

"You think my suspension will get lifted when we get back?"

After my fight with Dante, he spoke to Theresa and the other scouts. They said as long as my suspension was lifted by the next game, then my chances of being signed should be still in play.

"Dante told me he put up a convincing argument to Coach Colton, I don't see why he wouldn't play you next game," Thomas reasons.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I wasn't thinking.

I nearly ruined my own chance at the NHL over a misunderstanding. Maybe she was right. I haven't changed.

We get to the trail park about ten minutes away from Thomas's house and I try to prepare myself for what's to come.

I walk up to our trailer and knock on the door in hopes that he will answer. If he's sober, he'll be awake. If he's awake, he'll answer.

To my surprise, Evelyn opens the door. She's an older lady who lives a few trailers down with her husband, Lincoln.

"Oh my goodness! Is that who I think it is? Dear! Come here!" as she pulls me in for a hug.

"Oh my, you've grown so much since I've last seen you Vinny!" she exclaims.

I hug her back. Evelyn has always been a good neighbor and a kind person when I was growing up. When I was younger, she'd bake cookies when I helped her clean the park up. She's owned the grounds here for at least thirty years.

Lincoln comes over and shakes my hand. They look surprised to see me, but also worried.

"What brings you home dear? School going okay?"