ten

Scarlett Redd

19 years old.

I could barely sleep from how down I was feeling.

My parents called me to wish me a happy birthday bright and early and told me that they miss me and can't wait to see me.

It's comforting when they call. They both work a lot and text me here and there to check in.

I didn't want to make any movement or noise in case the girls woke up. Luckily I have a class later this morning and will be all by myself.

Vincent texted me the whole ride there after I fell asleep.

Most of his texts consisted of him apologizing and saying how excited he was to see me tomorrow and then another wishing me a happy birthday by midnight.

I didn't want to answer him yet but I think he suffered enough.

He said he was going through something and maybe I should cut him some slack and move forward.

I'm always being told that I live in the past, so this is a chance to change.

I quickly reply, 'Good morning :) thank you for the birthday wishes. score a goal for me! good luck tonight', as I click send, I hear the girls whispering outside my bedroom door.

"Shut up Stel you're being loud! Kaia be careful with that!" I hear Brooke instruct.

They gently knock on my door as I roll over and tell them to come in.

"Happy Birthday Scar!" They exclaim.

Kaia's holding a couple of gifts, while Stella's carrying in a coffee and cookie from Sweetwater. Brooke's hands are full as she's carrying in balloons and the birthday tiara.

We have a little tradition that every birthday, the previous birthday girls pass down the tiara. Brooke's birthday was over the summer so she has the honours this time around.

She places the balloons down and puts the tiara on my head.

"You guys did way too much! Thank you though!" I mumble back.

"You haven't even seen the cake we got you for tonight! We booked reservations at Mani Osteria & Bar for 6, just us girlies!" Kaia chirped up.

"Seb told me that your party's gonna be crazy tomorrow! It's the talk around campus apparently," Stella tells us.

Great. More people I don't wanna see. My birthday clashes with the away game so it was easier to just double-dip.

I thank the girls again before grabbing my stuff to go shower.

The water was scolding hot, just how I liked it!

I step into the shower and let the hot water cook my skin. An overwhelming feeling takes over when I suddenly get the urge to start crying.

It's my party, I can cry if I want to.

I think my birth parents were bad people. Why else would my parents change my name after they adopted me?

Maybe I was named Kitty Kat or something even more bizarre.

After this weekend, I'm making it a goal to find my birth parents.

They say the curiosity killed the cat, then let me die.

I don't think I would ever be able to get over this until I find out more.

"Scar, you good in there? It's been a while!" Kaia exclaims.

"Yeah, sorry just getting out!" I shout back.