twelve

Scarlett Redd

I can't believe it. No way this could be happening again.

"I'm gonna leave soon, I should be there in a couple of hours—love you too Mom," I say before jumping out of bed.

"Is everything alright?"

Oh shit, Vincent's still here.

"No—my dad— he— he had a heart attack," I choked out. "I really gotta go Vin, just leave whenever but I gotta go there!"

I start running around grabbing a bag and throwing in whatever I see. I don't have a plan especially being hungover and a disaster right now.

"Scar, calm down. I'll grab you some stuff, go wash up and get ready, I'll drive us," Vincent insists.

"I don't know how long I'll be! You have class tomorrow and practice— which people are relying on you to be there for, so just stay here and I'll get an Uber." I argue.

"I'll stay the day and come back tonight, no problem! I'll even take care of working on the project with Chase tomorrow for class, and if you end up staying longer I can always come back to get you!"

I don't have time to argue, so I agree and go take a quick shower to get ready.

As I run out of my room, I see Brooke urgently walking over.

"Everything good? I heard arguing..."

I can feel myself about to have a mental breakdown as I drop to the ground and cry.

"Scar, speak to me!" she whispers as she kneels to hug me.

I couldn't manage to choke out the words. I can't lose my dad.

My parents are all I have left when it comes to family. I can't imagine what it would be like to be without them.

Vincent comes to the door and tells Brooke what's going on and she hugs me harder.

"Brooke, help her get ready so we can leave. I'm gonna go back to the house to grab my car. I should be back in fifteen, just get her ready," he explains as Brooke is trying to get me up.

He kisses the top of my head and leaves as Brooke tries to pull me up.

"Hun, you gotta get up! This is happening. You're not facing it alone, I'm gonna call the girls. Let's just get you ready so you can go to be with your dad!"

Brooke's right. I need to be strong right now. I collect myself and get up to go to the bathroom.

"Bring me some aspirins and anything else that will cure this hangover!" I shout over the running water.

I finish brushing my teeth and Brooke brings me a banana, some water, and two aspirins along with a change of clothes.

The shower is cold compared to my usual standards. I need to wake up. This is real.

The water gently numbs my body as I sob quietly. I curl into myself and sit down on the floor with my knees to my chest.

This can't be happening, I repeat to myself over and over again.

I bring myself up to get out as goosebumps raise against my skin. I feel numb, mentally and physically.

I dry off and put on the clothes Brooke laid out for me. The banana looked tempting, but I just couldn't eat it right now.

"Scar, I filled your bag up with water and snacks, along with your cigs, and a phone charger. You should be there in less than an hour at this rate. Vince is downstairs waiting in the car for you!"