sixteen

Scarlett Redd

After our date on Friday, it broke the ice for all of us!

It's almost a week until Thanksgiving break and I'm so excited to be back home!

I went to the rink this morning to skate since I didn't have class.

Thursdays are one of my favourite days. I like that I get the chance to skate before work, it makes me feel at ease the rest of my shift.

"So how's it been going between you and Vin?"

"How's it been going between you and Brooke?"

"Touché."

Dante and I have been hanging out a lot more during my shifts. He's been spending almost an hour during the quiet afternoons at the café to hang around.

Vincent, along with everyone else makes their own appearances throughout the week, but Dante's here always in the early afternoon.

"Brooke was telling me about the artwork you have at your house and how it's valued at over three billion dollars! That's insane!" I shout.

"It's actually three and a half billion dollars to be exact," he corrects me.

"Who the hell has three and a half billion dollars to spend on a piece of artwork?!"

"My father."

"And your father is...?" I question.

"My father is an important political figure back home." He replies dryly.

"Don't be that way. If you're gonna be dating my best friend, that makes us friends by associations, so spill," I argue.

"Whatever I share, you don't say a word to anyone. Got it?"

I look nervously at his dark eyes and agree.

"My name isn't Dante Porter, it's Dante Petrov. I moved here when I was younger with my mother," he explains. "My mother is from Italy, her name is Chiara Giovanna, and she's a famous artist there."

Um, who just has a whole other identity... Is he a criminal...

"My mother was hosting an art exhibit when my father had been in town visiting for work. She always would say that his charm was what got her to fall in love, but he became repulsive. The political power got to his head."

I lean against the counter listening intrigued as my regular came in.

"Hold that thought," I say as I make my way over to the cash register.

"What can I get for you!" I ask.

"Hm, cappuccino and a blueberry muffin please!"

"No problem, that will be five dollars and eighty cents!"

She hands me the change as I make her a cappuccino.

She looks over and seems to recognize Dante.

"Excuse you, aren't you on the hockey team at the university here?" she asks.

"Um, yeah? Why?"

"That Thompson boy is playing real good for your team! Good luck on the next game!" she exclaims as she grabs her drink and muffin to go.

Once out of earshot, I look at Dante with a confused look on my face.

"Isn't she weird? She comes in here almost every shift now and makes remarks about Vinny... I think she's some super fan or something. It's just so weird, she's kinda old," I question.