seventeen

Scarlett Redd

That boy sure as hell knows how to make a girl feel good.

After he left, I told myself I'd go skate—only if I could feel my legs.

Only Kaia made her way back last night since Brooke cried herself to sleep with Stel in her boyfriend's bed.

Vin told me that by the time he got home, Sebastian was complaining about having to sleep on the couch before an early practice.

This morning I woke up feeling refreshed but overwhelmed with my thoughts. It would be a good time to clear my mind.

The November weather is picking up, and winter is coming fast. I decide to wear my black leggings jumpsuit and a black thermal long-sleeve on top.

I almost forgot to pack my gloves and to wear a hat. I always forget how cold it gets in there.

I grabbed my vest, earbuds, and skates and quietly made my way out of the loft.

When I arrive at the rink, I immediately lace up and get on.

On Friday, practices usually start past 8 am and can go all the way until midnight. The different strings rotate with the gyms and ice time.

I work on my jumps and balance today so I can perfect my old routines.

An hour flew by and I thought how peaceful it was for me this morning.

Coach Colton wasn't here today thankfully and I could just enjoy the ice to myself.

Or so I thought.

"Scar! I'm freaking the fuck out," I hear Dante shout from the rink doors.

I take out an earbud and skate over to the benches.

"Are you okay? Did you forgive Brooke? It was an honest mistake, I'm also to blame..."

"No, I haven't forgiven anyone and honestly things went bad—fast. My father found my home address when Brooke addressed the letter to my mother by her real name."

Oh god, this is my fault too. I get off the ice and make my way over to sit with him on the bench.

"He contacted us this morning demanding I return home and skate for my team... I don't know what to do—I don't wanna leave yet."

"Isn't there anything you can do? Get the government involved or a lawyer?"

"He is the government!" he states fearfully.

I wouldn't blame him for being upset. Who would want to pick up their lives and leave at the best time of their lives?

"And lawyers? Aren't there laws that could protect you?!"

"I don't know. All I know right now is that I'm just conflicted and confused and—"

And before he can finish his sentence I pull him in for a hug.

That's the least I can do for partaking in ruining his life.

We release from the embrace and his eyes linger on mine.

Before I could react, he kissed me.

We both immediately pull back and I get up to go back onto the ice to create some space.

"Scar, I'm sorry, that was a mistake. Fuck! I'm really into Brooke, I was planning to ask her on a date, alone, before this all started happening."

"It's fine, it was just a moment of vulnerability," I suggest with a weak smile.