nineteen

Scarlett Redd

The Uber ride was fast and Brooke wouldn't let me get a word in.

This is our last party before Thanksgiving and the fall break. I need to resolve this now before it's too late.

We're supposed to go back home with Brooke in California for a few days. Then Stella, Kaia, and I would fly back together by Wednesday night to go home to spend time with our families on Thursday for Thanksgiving.

I miss home. I miss my parents. After everything that has happened with Dad in the hospital, I can't help but find myself worrying about his recovery.

I could use a hug from my dad right now. Or some reassurance from my mom.

The hospital insisted they were confident in him making a full recovery, and he's been home now. Yet, there is always a worry about him and his heart. This is his second health mishap, and he sure got lucky.

When we arrive, the girls get out of the SUV immediately while I say goodbye to our driver.

"Whatever you're worried about kid, don't. You're young, it's easy still," he reassures me.

Easy for you to say. You probably never had your best friend's dream boy kiss you instead of her...

"Scar, you coming!" Kaia shouts as they make their way down the front lawn.

"Yeah, one sec!" I shout back as they already start to walk in.

I get out of the car and sigh as I make my way into the hockey house.

Every time we've gone to a party this year, I can't help but feel sad. I didn't enjoy one single party.

This time around, all I can think of is how to tell Brooke and Vincent about Dante kissing me.

It really shouldn't be as big a deal as I'm making it out to be. But, if Brooke told me she kissed Vincent, I wouldn't be happy with either of them.

It's girl code. And now I'm the one in breach of it.

"Scar, hey!" Dante says before I can walk inside. "Can we talk for a minute?"

We make our way further down the lawn so we can hear each other a little better.

"I just wanted to thank you for not saying anything to Brooke or Vince. It was a mistake, an accident. It was just a low moment and I'm sorry about that."

"I get it, you're going through so much stuff, but I don't think I can keep this a secret for much longer... If Brooke or Vin find out from anyone other than us, it won't end well for either of us," I argue.

"You're not going to lose them and neither will I. Nobody was even there!" he argues.

"I can't just lie and keep this from them! The chance of potentially losing my best friend and boyfriend is too high of a stake! I know it was a mistake, but I can't imagine losing either one of them, and I know you can't either," I insist.

"You're thinking too into this Scar. Nobody saw, it was one little kiss. A pity kiss! Trust me, don't hurt everyone you love for nothing," he groans.

"Just because it was one kiss, doesn't mean we can keep this from them. No matter the situation or excuses, it was wrong, and we could lose their trust by lying!"

"It's not lying," he argues. "It's just, not telling the whole truth. Scar, you're looking too into it... It's not that big a deal," he scruffs.

Is he sure nobody saw? The whole hockey team was there for practice.