thirty seven

Scarlett Redd

"How'd it go last night? Did he make a good impression?" Kaia asks as we walk over to Stella's.

"Yeah, surprisingly, he and my dad hit it off really well. Now I can finally come for New Year's without having to worry!"

"Stella planned out everything for tomorrow. Chase invited some people from high school, maybe he'll find someone to keep him busy," she says under her breath.

"I hope he does. He deserves to be happy too. I just hate how we're still not on the best of terms."

"Oh cheer up! You've got one of the hottest guys on campus wrapped around your finger. Don't dwell on him," Kaia says giving my arm a light squeeze.

We open the door to Stella's and see her and Brooke eating popcorn on the couch.

"What happened to going out?!" Kaia shouts as the two of them are still in their pajamas.

"Um, yeah, about that, we kinda got high," Stella giggles as Brooke continues to eat.

"Damn. Without me. I guess I gotta catch up," as I make myself comfortable next to Brooke.

"Scar, last night, we hung out with the guys, and I met someone at the bar, that's who I got the weed from," she says, only whispering that last part.

"You met someone? What happened to Dante?" Kaia asks as she grabs herself a handful of popcorn.

"Not like that silly! Dante and I are gonna try to make it work when he's back. I told him to come tomorrow, he said he'd see what he could do."

Her mood shifts from giggly and happy to disappointed and sad.

"Oh Brooke don't worry! I have a good feeling he's gonna come," Kaia says with a smile.

"Really! You think so," her eyes light up as if she's found hope.

"Yeah, Vin mentioned last night that he's got things mostly under control, so it sounds promising," I insist.

Nobody wants to have a bad high. I've been there too many times.

Her mood changes once again, and she lays back relaxed on the couch.

"What time do we have to get there tomorrow Stel?" I ask as I roll my joint.

"The hotel's check-in is like at three, but we told people to come around seven. Oh yeah! Last night we invited more people," she happily mumbles and giggles.

She hands me her phone with the reservation and guest list. It went from booking out four rooms to booking out the entire floor...

"How fucked were they last night?!" I ask Kaia. She shrugs as the girls continue to laugh.

"Thomas and she left a little earlier," Stella says as Kaia looks away. "With another girl!"

"A third?!"

"It's not a big deal! Now back to the hotel. What are we wearing?" Kaia says to redirect the conversation.

"No way! We want details!" Brooke chimes in with a mouthful of popcorn.

"I just thought it would be fun, change it up a bit," she mumbles. She pulls her legs closer to her chest and seems to be uncomfortable.

Stella and Brooke continue to hound her until I suggest we watch a movie. They instantly shift their attention to picking a movie and Kaia gives me a weak smile.

"That settles it! We're watching Superbad!"

——————————————————

"You're wearing that?!" Stella groans as she looks at Kaia up and down.