thirty eight

Vincent Thompson

She didn't call that morning.

I stayed alone at the hotel and waited for her.

Everyone came by to wish me a happy new years and ask what happened. I wish I had more answers too.

The girl assured me once they heard back anything they'd let me know. I think Scarlett would get back to me by the time she'd get back to them, so what's the point?

That morning I packed up and left before anyone noticed. It was probably around six when I checked out. Even the hotel staff was surprised to see me go.

I decided to take Scarlett's advice and go see my mother. I couldn't avoid her forever.

She'd probably appreciate it if I took some stress off of her. She told me they stayed in contact and I don't want Liz to be bothering her about me.

I called her before I left and she said she'd be back tomorrow.

There was no point in staying here anyway.

I kept sending Scarlett update texts but haven't gotten a reply. She must still be sleeping.

The drive back to campus was quiet. The roads were pretty empty despite a few cars passing by here and there.

I told Liz to meet at Sweetwaters tomorrow morning. It's a neutral place we both like. I also wanted to make sure Todd was doing alright, as per Scarlett's request.

My phone begins to ring and I see Thomas's name flashing across the screen. I quickly answered and put him on speaker.

"Where the fuck are you?! I went to knock on the door and nobody was answering!"

"I went back home, I got some stuff to sort out," I mumble as I drive into downtown Michigan. "There was no point in staying."

"Dude, why didn't you tell us? You gave me a heart attack!"

"Sorry, it was pretty early and you guys were partying pretty hard, I didn't wanna wake you."

"How's Scar? Any update there?" Thomas asks as he closes the door behind him.

"Nope, haven't heard from her since."

"You guys were really going at it in that elevator," he chuckles. "I can't believe her mom saw all that."

"Thanks for reminding me," I annoyingly mumble as I stop in the drive-thru to grab a coffee.

"Sorry man, that must have been a good way to keep your minds busy from being trapped in there though," he argues. "Want me to come back? I was planning to stay until the end of the break but I can come back."

"Nah, don't worry about me. Hi sorry —can I have a large black coffee—hold on man—one sugar, that's all thanks."

"Why didn't you go to the hospital and stay with Scar?"

"After all that?! She told me to give her a little space right now and I have some things to finish up with here," as I hand my change to the lady and grab my coffee.

"How far are you from the house?"

"About twenty. Why?"

"My brother might stop by. He's leaving today since he has work tomorrow. It was just to drop off some stuff so I don't pack in too much with the Sully's so I just wanted to warn you."

"Thanks, man, I gotta go, but I'll let you know when he's there," as I hang up the call.

Patrick Davis.