In the Middle of the Night

The sun continues to rise every morning and the moon and stars glow softly above everyone each night.

Everything is different, but still very much the same.

Lena runs her company, spends an extremely appropriate amount of time in her laboratory, and visits the Tower occasionally to provide consultations or some equipment.

It's late and quiet when she enters the Tower main area, the sound of her high heels clacking on the hard surface floor, loud each step.

She's just about to leave and head straight home until she bumps into something or someone, solid and soft. Strong arms wrap around Lena for a second, and then warm, gentle hands are on her arms, movements searching, worried.

Lena looks up.

"Oh—hey, Lena," Kara Danvers says, and her voice makes Lena's heart do a weird little dance.

Like it always does.

"Hi," Lena replies. And then, "Sorry—I didn't see you coming."

No one says anything for a moment. Their faces are close and Kara's hands are still holding her.

Kara Danvers, her best friend, who's very much in front of her, real and touchable. It's been a year since she came back from that dark place.

Things with Kara are still the same, but also more, somehow.

Lena takes a good step back, heartbeat terribly and embarrassingly fast.

She looks at Kara, and her eyes are immediately drawn to her sharp frame. She sees Kara, the way she fills the space with her broad shoulders, the sure line of her waist, the way she never seems misplaced as Supergirl, confident of her place. The defined cut of her jawline, the soft small smile on her face, her striking blue eyes, bright and gorgeous.

Under the gentle lights, Kara's suit hugs her biceps incredibly well and god.

She's objectively handsome and beautiful, so much so that it hurts to look at her at times, makes Lena's hand twitch, chest ache with want.

"It's really late," Lena says, only a little breathless. She clears her throat. "And you're here, still working. Are you also with Alex on that new case J'onn sent earlier?"

"Lena, you're here, too. Working." Kara touches her belt, tilts her head. She smiles, soft around the edges, soft around the lines of her jaw, soft in her eyes. "And yes, but we just finished up. Finally done for the day!"

"Done for the day," Lena echoes, arching a brow. She pokes Kara on the bicep. "It's ten minutes past midnight, Kara."

Kara pokes her back quickly with a grin, a finger on Lena's cheek. Lena frowns, unamused.

"Yes, yes, okay," Kara says, voice a soft breath of laughter, "we all work too much. Don't leave yourself out of the equation, you're right here, too."

Lena only shrugs, pokes Kara on the bicep again, an odd recent thing she's picked up. She pokes because she can. Because Kara lets her. Because it's really funny how Kara's automatic response is to poke back.

"Well," Lena says with a helpless smile. "Any big plans after this?"

"A little midnight snack before sleep," Kara says, almost dreamy. "And then tomorrow is Friday so I have sisters' night with Alex—actually technically it's Friday now, but you get the point! Oh, and on Saturday morning I'm making a quick trip to Midvale to have brunch with Eliza. And in the afternoon, I'm helping Esme bake a cake for Alex and Kelly— she's planning a surprise cake and she's being awfully cute about it—" and on it goes for a minute as Kara goes on a tangent about Esme and her sister's adorable relationship, her eyes twinkling like the night skies.